Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping a D2: What parts should I keep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Scraping a D2: What parts should I keep?

I have a spare D2 parts truck sitting around, fully loaded 2000 with ACE and SLS... bought for parts with a "blown" motor, previous owner claims HG, I've never looked into it.

I got all the parts I needed for my truck but dont have anywhere to store a parts truck so my question is what parts should I take off before I send the truck on its merry way?

So far I took:
Door locks
driveshafts
CDL T-case
cats
ACE valve block and actuators
SLS bags

What else should I keep and/or sell?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
I have a spare D2 parts truck sitting around, fully loaded 2000 with ACE and SLS... bought for parts with a "blown" motor, previous owner claims HG, I've never looked into it.

I got all the parts I needed for my truck but dont have anywhere to store a parts truck so my question is what parts should I take off before I send the truck on its merry way?

So far I took:
Door locks
driveshafts
CDL T-case
cats
SLS bags

Sell the lot if you have no storage facility and tuck away the dosh for when you need it later................... and you will need some later for sure. Trying to second guess what parts might go wrong is almost impossible as inevitably the parts you keep won't be the ones that go wrong later.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a list of small bits I would like if you would be interested in some $ and mailing them to me.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

window regulators. a few videos on youtube on how to remove. Very easy to do. I would also pull the fuses and relay box from the engine bay.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Post pics on the classified and your location and I'm sure some of us would be interested in purchasing some of the parts to help you recoup your money or the whole truck depending where you are

Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Sell the lot if you have no storage facility and tuck away the dosh for when you need it later................... and you will need some later for sure. Trying to second guess what parts might go wrong is almost impossible as inevitably the parts you keep won't be the ones that go wrong later.
I know that. I'm just trying to get the parts off I can sell without keeping the truck around for much longer.

I'm in ontario canada so shipping to Americans on this forum might not be economically fesable.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm in ontario canada so shipping to Americans on this forum might not be economically fesable.
Understood, thanks!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Me, I'd see if I could get it running to verify your head gasket issue. If it just the head gaskets and it runs with no unusual ticking/knocking noises, I'd pull the engine...since these engines are getting harder and harder to find. A simple head gasket job, especially, while motor is sitting on a engine stand or sitting on the floor...is easy work. You're able to verify mileage and condition, so that's a plus, if you wanted to sell it "as is" or after you did repairs.

I'd pull everything under the hood, alternator, A/C compressor, master cylinder, ABS unit, radiator, fuse box, air box and the engine, trans and transfer case.

If you off road at all, the drive shafts, axles shafts, hubs, differentials (frt/rear), extra set of rims (for mudder tires), might come in handy. Me, I'd probably just pull the entire axle housing(s) and call it a day.

Interior wise, I'd remove the dash cluster, center console and dash and all dash vents. Window regulators and door locks, as mentioned earlier.

Exterior wise, all lights front and rear, tire holder (known to crack), windshield trim pieces, grill, wiper arms (frt/rear) and door mirrors.

Brian.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Wiper cowl and the A pillar trim pieces seem to go for good money on eBay.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:41 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior fuse box

So far I took:
Door locks
driveshafts
CDL T-case
cats
SLS bags

-I need an interior fuse box.

-Homewreckerz

Quick Reply: Scraping a D2: What parts should I keep?