Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCREW the owners manual - I want to "DAZZLE" other drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCREW the owners manual - I want to "DAZZLE" other drivers

so I wondered if there is a way to keep the front fog lights on all the time when I turn on my headlights in my 04 Disco II? I always turn them on together b/c I think it looks better. The owners manual states that they do not stay on b/c they will "dazzle" other drivers.

I have never found that they shine high enough to bother oncoming traffic.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, ever other vehicle on the road has both fog and headlights on. That's if they're not dazzling other drivers with their high beams.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If they are really fog lights and not driving lights, and are aimed properly, then you can actually see better at night, in clear conditions, with them off rather than on.
In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 10 feet in front of your left wheels. But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 30 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. If you increase the foreground light, your pupils react to the bright, wide pool of light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. It's insidious, because high levels of foreground light give the illusion, the subjective impression, of comfort and security and "good lighting".
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

that's right on, and why the low beams go off when you turn the high-beams on, not because you'll blind other drivers more with both than you already will with the high-beams, but because you'll actually see farther ahead with the foreground lights off

Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Mudding

I think it's because it will over heat the bulb (both filiments lit in same bulb ) ? But you could add a diod from your high beam to the coil of your fog light relay , so then they would both light at the same time . You could switch it so it works like factory , just sayin blamo.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
If they are really fog lights and not driving lights, and are aimed properly, then you can actually see better at night, in clear conditions, with them off rather than on.
x2

but if you wanted to rig it to turn on at the same time all you would need to do is find the wire to the headlight relay (somewhere in the steering column) and splice it into the fog light relay wire....this would pull both relays in at the same time.

I did this similarly to the rear fog lights (the ones in the bumper) so they always come on with the lights.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You may get into a legal grey area.
Dazzle other drivers may cause them to wreck in the dark as they are blinded.

Check your state laws about fog lights.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Some state laws are absolutely screwy. 35 years or so ago when I lived in Virginia I was installing fog lights on my 109 and found the VA law said they could only be on with the high beams. That's completely FUBAR, being exactly opposite of the way fogs should be wired.
Driving lights yes, but not fog lights.
Correct wiring is:
Fog lights - only on with low beam (though there have been conditions where even low beams were too much)
Driving lights - only on with high beams.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Mudding

A large majoity of people who drive with their fog lights on at the same time as their headlights, low beam or highbeam, are usually the one who think its "cool" to do so.

I've seen people driving around in broad daylight with their fog lights on <rolls eyes!>

Here in Canada there are laws for driving around with them on when conditions don't call for them but the law is never enforced.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Some state laws are absolutely screwy. 35 years or so ago when I lived in Virginia I was installing fog lights on my 109 and found the VA law said they could only be on with the high beams.
The BCU of the D2 can be configured to allow fog light operation with the high beams on. Maybe this is why.

Quick Reply: SCREW the owners manual - I want to "DAZZLE" other drivers