Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing Washers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealing Washers

For those of you that perform your own maintenance.

There are some tasks that I am looking into doing, but before I do I need to track down the proper parts:
Replace gearbox oil
Replace transfer box oil
Replace front and rear axle oil
Lubricate Propeller shafts

For the Automatic Gearbox, Tranfer Box, and front and rear axle the manual says to replace the sealing washers or 'O' ring. I can not find any of these parts. LR dealer does not have any and I have search many internet LR parts websites.

Do you guys worry about replacing these sealing washers? I realize it really isnt that big of a deal, but If they only cost 1 or 2 bucks I would rather change them every couple of years.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sealing Washers

Also the plugs for these parts are square. Does anybody know what size these plugs take? I have a good amount of tools but I do not have square heads for these parts. If anybody could tell me the tool I need I would be great full.

For the Propeller shafts the maual says I need a 1/4in UNFgrease nipple. Does anybody know what this is?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sealing Washers

I did most of these a while back:

Propeller shafts: Pick up a standard hand held grease gun from your local auto parts store... you will want a flexible hose if yours doesn't come with one (mine didn't for some reason).

Diffs: The plugs on the diffs take a 1/2" drive ratchet or extension. For the center diff I used a 1/2" universal joint extender to get at the fill plug due to the space between the diff and the e-break

Trans: I only changed the fluid on mine, but I did pick up the filter kit. The kit contains the o rings and the seal for the pan as well as the trans filter. I didn't replace it yet, because on my '98 it looks like you have to remove a big section of the exhaust and a chassis cross member to get the pan down. I haven't had the time or the will to do that yet.

--
- Logan