Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searched and didn't find - Coolant leak passenger side dirps on bell hosing 04 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Searched and didn't find - Coolant leak passenger side dirps on bell hosing 04 Disco

All,

Did a search and didn't find a conclusive answer.

I recently purchased a Disco 2 SE-7 Bosch engined with ~81K on it. I have completed all steps in the major service sticky except flushing the coolant. I have put 2K on it since purchase.

As the temperature changed and started using the heater have noticed a coolant leak. I can see dripping at the rear of the engine on the passenger side dripping down onto the bell hosing. I have not done a leak down test nor have I pressure tested the coolant system, nor have I replaced the coolant hoses yet.

There is no ticking sound, the oil looks like oil, the coolant looks like coolant, the exhaust does not smell sweet.

Any advice or counsel is appreciated.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

are you sure it is coolant and not condensation, from ac? that usually leaks back by the cat. my guess is if you are leaking coolant it is either at the 2 hoses going to heater core or the heater core itself. but just a guess till you narrow source area

Last edited by dusty1; 11-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

above passenger valve cover are the hoses. they are small and clamp on to metal pipes. the pipes, hoses, or connections could be culprit. it is a bypass system but, I am still guessing it is at the core. pressure test and/ or some uv dye added to coolant system will help find it

Last edited by dusty1; 11-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My guess without actually seeing it and/or having it pressure tested is either intake manifold or head gasket. Even though you are just now using the heater as temperatures get colder, the coolant ALWAYS circulates through the heater core, even when you have the A/C on in August as there is no heater control valve.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you will have to pressure test the system no way around it

Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

There are 20 threads that I have read through with the posting of "coolant leak at back of the engine," and not a single one has the OP finalizing the post with a resolution, fix, or parts that needed to be repaired or replaced. This is absolutely ridiculous

The following users liked this post:
TampaBayDisco (11-29-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 12:45 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll Chubbs878, thanks for calling me out of the heard of 20.

As with most of the other cases, the cause was a blown head gasket and the cure was new new top end gaskets all around, new ARP head bolts and new lifters from Atlantic British, new valve springs and guides from the machine shop and if memory serves 800USD in parts and 600USD in labor with machine shop time.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in DEFENSE of all my fellow dog owners who post on here no TWO LEAKS ARE THE SAME. So with that you have to understand that:
1. My P38 had a leak on the passenger side (new engine required since a sleeve slipped and the water was a head gasket)
2. 1998 D1 leak on passenger side, pin whole that was sending water back there from the overflow tank (pin whole in tank that sprayed)
3. 2000 D2 leak on passenger side (loose clamp on heater supply side )
4. 2000 D2 leak on passenger side two days later (pin whole in Supply hose)
5. 2000 D2 Leak on passenger side 1 week later (hose from Throttle body leaking)
See the problem IF I had just asked a simple question there was no answer.
I got help bit by bit to fix it. So cut use some slack since the wages we are paid is VERY LOW
Ask and we will try and send you in the correct direction but as far as a step by step those are for KNOWN fixes. IF they have been done a time tested.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:48 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
There are 20 threads that I have read through with the posting of "coolant leak at back of the engine," and not a single one has the OP finalizing the post with a resolution, fix, or parts that needed to be repaired or replaced. This is absolutely ridiculous
Chubbs,

I see your point. It would be nice if OPs followed up on their post with a conclusion and the fix(es) to resolve their specific issues. We encourage posters to use the search function. It is useless if the OPs do not close the threads with conclusive information. I recognize each OP's issue is unique. Therefore, having some form of closure would be helpful for future reference.

My Disco is 108K miles is running the original head gasket. We pressure tested it a couple of months ago and everything held up well.

I just encountered a major leak at the rear of the engine last night. I towed it to the shop. There are just tearing it up. My mechanics says it is most likely the gasket wearing out at cylinder #7 or #8. This is a very common area where head gaskets fail. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are no issues between cylinders 3 and 5 or 4 and 6. Leaks in this area could be attributed not only to worn head gaskets... but could also be a precursor to block porosity issues.

I am taking the opportunity to check/replace the cam shaft, rockerss, etc. I will set up a separate post and update on my situation next week.

Last edited by acg; 11-05-2015 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TampaBayDisco (11-29-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Chubbs,

I see your point. It would be nice if OPs followed up on their post with a conclusion and the fix(es) to resolve their specific issues. We encourage posters to use the search function. It is useless if the OPs do not close the threads with conclusive information. I recognize each OP's issue is unique. Therefore, having some form of closure would be helpful for future reference.

My Disco is 108K miles is running the original head gasket. We pressure tested it a couple of months ago and everything held up well.

I just encountered a major leak at the rear of the engine last night. I towed it to the shop. There are just tearing it up. My mechanics says it is most likely the gasket wearing out at cylinder #7 or #8. This is a very common area where head gaskets fail. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are no issues between cylinders 3 and 5 or 4 and 6. Leaks in this area could be attributed not only to worn head gaskets... but could also be a precursor to block porosity issues.

I am taking the opportunity to check/replace the cam shaft, rockerss, etc. I will set up a separate post and update on my situation next week.
Hope it is the good side of that one. These dogs can eat you out of house and home for sure.