Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell Housing Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bell Housing Oil Leak

I have what appears to be a oil leak that is coming out of the weep hole in the base of the bell housing. Anyone got any ideas or sugestions?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Bell Housing Oil Leak

Rear main seal leaking.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

And or oil from the v/c gasket leaking down and thru the housing.
Probably should degrease and power scrup the engine so you can get a better look at what is going on.
Vally pan gasket is the biggest reason for a rear engine oil leak.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok WellI finally got around to doing the valley pan gasket since parking my rover two months ago since it was bleeding oil like there is no tomorrow.I replaced the Valley Pan Gasket, both seals on the ends, Rocker covers, and intake gasket. It wasn't a fun job but a good day long process. After having to call Mike for the correct cylinder orderI got my spark plug wires back on in and fired it up (Thanks to my wife and her small hands). Sounds fine, idles fine,I go for a quick run down the road and when I get back........ still bleeding like a stuck pig. Currenlty ifI am driving,and I stopa gas station and by the time I come out there is at least three ounces of oil on the ground. What else can be causing the oil leak. It is definbatly coming from thw weep hole in the bellhousing. I looked through the access hole and the rear seal looks good. Is there a chance that it could have been some pooled oil from before the repairs? Any thoughts?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Mudding

Rear main seal and valley pan gaskets are the causes for an engine oil leak in that area.
Used transmission fluid (darkened) has been mistaken in some cases for engine oil.
Sorry, I do not mean that your transmission is not serviced but if the front seal in the transmission started leaking in this cold weather, fluid will come out of the same weep hole and it will equal this flow rate of few ounces in few minutes.
Just wild guess and suggestion.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The rear main seal is the only thing left and certainly the most common especially for the amopunt of oil you are leaking. Front and rear mains have a fair amount of oil pressure on them nd will really leak given the opportunity.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I looked again and the oil is definatly coming out of the weep hole on the bell houseing. One thing I noticed that there seams to be oil about a thirdof the way from the bottom of the bell housing on the driver's side. Is there a chance the oil pan is leaking on the back side close to the bell housing?I looked on the RAVE CD and couldn't see any oil lines or conections in that area. Any Thoughts? Also, I am pretty sure it is engine oil. I am loosing about a quart every week.....only drivng 2 days a week.