Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat covers... better than Cabelas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
They're on my list for the disco for sure. The ones in my ford had 6 years of dudes, dogs, sawdust and gunpowder on them, and they never missed a beat.

You can machine wash them with neoprene-safe detergent and dry and they look basically new.

IIRC, the front set cost me about $350 with shipping to georgia. Back was a little cheaper but it was a bench seat.

Also, @charlie_v - you might be surprised what you can get a seat bottom re-upholstered for. There is a store near me called Tempe Sales that stocks the light tan leather which matched my 2003 interior perfectly. I used a strip to make a steering wheel cover and it looks basically stock.
Thanks for that, ATL. I took my Disco to an upholstery shop once to get the headliner redone and the cost was outrageous. That was maybe 8 years ago but an elephant never forgets and neither do I. I found a complete, new OEM leather set online for 50 bucks a seat and while I dithered someone bought them... that was 5 years ago (still haven't forgotten, of course)...

The Okole (sp?) looks like a NICE fit. I just decided to go on a spending spree again so I will check out the local offerings and the Okole, too. I can't remember whether, in my original post, I had seen the Cabelas covers in person, but I did see them in person at the Cabelas north of San Antonio and I figured they are a good value for 20 bucks; but they look like they cost 20 bucks...

EDIT: I found http://www.wetokole.com/landrover_di...at_covers.html -- it just says Discovery; is that Discovery II as well? Are they different? Looks like it is for Disco II's because the year can be chosen beyond the production of Disco I's.

Hmm, well I got it up to 600 bucks with all of the gun pouches, map pockets, and sunglass holders. Hmm. That's alot. I need to get a quote for something more expensive before I can feel like that's a good deal.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-04-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Hey Charlie, have you considered something like this?

Summit Racing® Sport Seats SUM-G1159B-1 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

They also have black simu-leather, light grey simu-leather, white vinyl, and black fabric. I'm debating on throwing a black fabric set in mine.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Hey Charlie, have you considered something like this?

Summit Racing® Sport Seats SUM-G1159B-1 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

They also have black simu-leather, light grey simu-leather, white vinyl, and black fabric. I'm debating on throwing a black fabric set in mine.
Hi Alex! Actually I have considered different seats. I like my seats and they have definitely shaped to my rump over 16 years, but I think those wouldn't work. My wife won't ride with me because she says the seats are uncomfortable and the rover is too "bumpy" - - probably a reference to my long springs and mud tires. Hahaha.

I need some plush seats if I am going to change. But I am definitely open to that. I found a place near me that has the comfy ford captains chairs but I don't think they will fit with the console. . I am exploring it. Making a bracket to adapt them is within my meager fabrication skillset. Making a new console isn't.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-05-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Very understandable. My only hold back is how comfortable the factory seats are to me. Well, that and money. I like them mostly because that would gain me extra leg room tough, which I could definitely use.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Very understandable. My only hold back is how comfortable the factory seats are to me. Well, that and money. I like them mostly because that would gain me extra leg room tough, which I could definitely use.

I have a set of seats off of a parts rover I bought, and it looks to me like a simple bracket would move them back. I'll take another look. I'm only 5'11" and my seat is all the way back; I would like it to go back farther.

I paid close attention to the seats in my Excursion this morning and maybe Ford seats wouldn't work for my wife (5'nothing") and daughter (4'11") because of the length of the seat cushion. Heck, when you are that small you can't expect everything... But they also weigh sub-100 pounds (YES, I LIVE IN A COLONY OF TINY PEOPLE) so the cushioning is the big thing for such skinny frames... LR seats are indeed firm.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Yea, a bracket should do it. Seems there's quite a few people have done them before. I totally understand short people land. My mother is 4'11" (and a half, according to her ) and a sister at about 5'1" with me being 6'2". Thankfully they never drive the Land Rover, so I don't much have to worry about that!