Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary air injection swap Q’s

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Secondary air injection swap Q’s

This is part of the Bosch/gems swap and engine rebuild I have going on, it is somewhat related but an addition to the work being done. Firstly, with my 04 that has a lower rated thermostat and a frequent bcm clicking from water ingress(thanks a-pillar leak) I get some drive cycle codes for insufficient coolant temp/defective thermostat and also door lock actuator randomly locking/lights flashing, water ingress has been confirmed by opening the bcm and finding a swollen board and residue.
FIRST question: I know I need the BCM with key fob and ecm and possible cluster from the same synced vehicle, however would the engine or body harness pinouts be different? I have done some research and heard about the tank pressure system utilizing a sensor on the fuel tank but no actual proof of someone doing the swap.
SECOND question: the engine harness difference betwix SAI and non-SAI would be the addition of the SAI pump and change over valve 2pin grey connector. I am reverting to the non SAI setup just as a heads up.
THIRDLY, some say you need the cluster or it will have a flashing odometer, some say leave the key in ignition/door for a period of time, who can confirm this? I do have the components, however I don’t want to crack/destroy the binnacle to swap the cluster of not necessary. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,285 Likes on 1,683 Posts

You can get the flashing to stop by someone with a Nanocom Unit. You can also re-program your fob to the BCU, and you can also SYNC the BCU mileage to the cluster as long as the cluster has less mileage on it vs the BCU. P0126 for the not up to temp fault is pretty common on SAI equipped vehicles.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
You can get the flashing to stop by someone with a Nanocom Unit. You can also re-program your fob to the BCU, and you can also SYNC the BCU mileage to the cluster as long as the cluster has less mileage on it vs the BCU. P0126 for the not up to temp fault is pretty common on SAI equipped vehicles.
Correct Best, that’s what I have seen from other posts on here. If it comes down to it, I do have the full disco to swap parts from. Just don’t want to crack the binnacle removing the cluster. Any advice or knowledge on the wire harnesses?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Update

Got the ECM,BCM, and cluster swapped. Now I have 80000 miles less than what I had prior(no biggie). The only issue I have now is immediately I am getting a P0453 Evap emission pressure sensor high input. Anyone know how to resolve this? I believe it is the fuel tank pressure system that needs to be swapped as well. Any ideas?

Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Just as some info

Did some RAVEing, found a couple things. Looks as if I have to do some more swapping to fully satisfy this conversion, either parts or wire swapping, or both. Some images from rave

Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 370 Likes on 286 Posts

Interested to see how this resolves. It seems unlikely to me that the ECM would be looking for a specific pressure sensor that was keyed to it, but anything is possible. I'm doing the same thing with my truck though and may be facing the same situation if this is the case.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ahab
Interested to see how this resolves. It seems unlikely to me that the ECM would be looking for a specific pressure sensor that was keyed to it, but anything is possible. I'm doing the same thing with my truck though and may be facing the same situation if this is the case.
Secondary air injection vehicles are labeled “lev”(low emissions vehicle) with a positive pressurized evap emissions system, non SAI rovers have a vacuum operated evap system. There is a harness from the engine bay to the fuel tank pressure sensor that I have to look into, either wire splicing or subharness swapping.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm going SAI to SAI. I now understand you are not.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

No sweat, ask anything you like to.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Hopefully I'm in good shape. I swapped ECM, BCU, SLABS ECU, Cluster, Ignition, Clockspring, Cruise ECU, EAT-ECU, Airbag DCU, Radio, Engine, Trans & T/C, Driver's door and Tailgate. I should probably just buy a Nanocom before I even try and start it.

Quick Reply: Secondary air injection swap Q’s