Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8

Hi

I know I should have paid more attention as I dismantled the engine but I have just heaved the upper manifold off again (previously to shuffle the plug leads more advantageously, lengthwise) to try to figure out where the @#$% secondary air distribution pipes fit at the rear of the engine. The fixings seem to match the coil panel fixings and the bracket profile matches the rear of the manifold.... but the pipes will be hard up against the plug leads and the manifold will be a @#$% to replace with all that plumbing sticking out....

I can't see where else it might fit....

Attached Thumbnails Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8-secondary-air.jpg  

Last edited by lrguy46; 11-08-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lrguy46
Hi

I know I should have paid more attention as I dismantled the engine but I have just heaved the upper manifold off again (previously to shuffle the plug leads more advantageously, lengthwise) to try to figure out where the @#$% secondary air distribution pipes fit at the rear of the engine. The fixings seem to match the coil panel fixings and the bracket profile matches the rear of the manifold.... but the pipes will be hard up against the plug leads and the manifold will be a @#$% to replace with all that plumbing sticking out....

I can't see where else it might fit....
That pipe can be finicky to maneuver into its resting place. Have you ran a Google search? See Rovers North's website for a blown up parts diagram - you may see what you need.

Last edited by coors; 11-08-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, I tried Rover North and the pdf handbook and neither seems to have a photo/drawing of the fitting arrangement. It's blooming tight getting the upper manifold back into location with the coil packs on that finish up millimeters from the bulkhead so this pipe assembly will be a B***** to fit even when I work out how it fits. It beats me at the moment as I can't see how the coils and plumbing can sure the same fixing screws.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have SAI on my 2000, but I found it's easiest to start the lower coil pack bolts but leave them loose so you can pivot it back and slide the upper intake on, then tighten everything.

From your picture, the bolt hole spacing of the SAI doesn't seem to match the upper coil pack bracket holes.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi

That's a parallex error in the photo with the pipes being closer to the phone... your advice would make fitting the coil pack easier but this secondary air thing is stumping me. The pipes get in the way of the coil packs no matter how I try to fit them.

There's no fixings on the lower manifold so they have to fit here but fitting the pipes first the coil pack won't fit and fitting the coil pack first the pipes won't fit.

If I remove the pipe from its mounting bracket and reverse the bracket it can fit, as the photo shows but this pushes the pipe down towards the fuel connection with the lower manifold... should this pair be mounted above or below the lugs on the upper manifold?

Attached Thumbnails Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8-bodge.jpg  

Last edited by lrguy46; 11-08-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench

This is the only pic I could find quickly.

Attached Thumbnails Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8-27557d1296705061-2004-discovery-plug-wires-installation-2004-lr029.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
lrguy46 (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling

My final attempt before quitting for the night...

The pipe bracket reversed and mounted below the coil pack, both items mounted on the upper face of the upper manifold.

Pipe angles up slightly

I would feel happier if I didn't know that I had not reversed the bracket after removing it but there's no way to fit it without reversing it.

Attached Thumbnails Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8-bodge2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
This is the only pic I could find quickly.
Oh Boy... a good time for me to stop.

So the coil pack hangs down below the upper manifold not stand up above?

Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lrguy46
So the coil pack hangs down below the upper manifold not stand up above?
Yes.

The narrower bolt holes are at the top, and the wider ones at the bottom. The upper narrow tab fits over the top of the upper intake, while the bottom bolts to the lower.

edit: clarification

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 11-08-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi

Thanks for the clarification... I had not taken photos of this part of the assembly and made assumptions that turned out incorrect. Yes, I see the wider holes and will have to check my plug leads as this inverts the coil assembly from the way I fitted it.

A darn good job I posted as this will save me a lot of headaches later!

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Yes.

The narrower bolt holes are at the top, and the wider ones at the bottom. The upper narrow tab fits over the top of the upper intake, while the bottom bolts to the lower.

edit: clarification

Quick Reply: Secondary air pipes on a 2004 V8