Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Air Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Question

2000 Discovery II, 92K

The last few days when my wife starts the LR in the morning the Secondary Air system sounds like a choking/dying cat. I started it up this morning to hear for myself and it is a very throaty, whiny howling type of noise. It predominantly goes away after the engine gets warm and isn't noticable from inside the car.

There was a code P1416 back on 4/14/08 that I cleared, but have not yet had time to clean the SAI system. This weekend looks like the weather and my schedule will allow me to work on this. Is it possible that the noise is due to a dirty system, or should I be looking for something else (new pump)?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Secondary Air Question

Yes, and I hgave heard of water getting in the system causing noise also.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Would the water be from condensation or is there a posibility of a leak from another system?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Three Wheeling

I cleaned out the SAI system and the noise is still there and now definitely sounds like it is coming from the pump. So, where is the best place to get an SAI pump (2000 Discovery II)?

Also, what is the procedure for taking the line/hose off of the bottom of the pump? There is a flexible hose that comes off of there with a connection I am not familiar with and I didn't want to torque anything too much.

On a side note, if the pump decides to completely die prior to a new one being installed, what damage would be done to the car without the SAI system, or should I tell my wife to not drive it until it is replaced?

Thanks,

Old 05-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Try roverland.com and see if they have one, otherwise atlantic british or any other rover parts store. Good news is, no there are no ill effects of having the system go bad per se (we're just among the unlucky ones to have gotten a rover w/ this junk system on it), however you will get a fault code and CELwhen it does go bad.
Before you replace it just yet, when the engine is cold, remove the air filter cover and filter on the outside of the pump, have someone fire up the engine and w/ an extension hose inserted in the pump opening give it a long shot of WD40. May help your noise and preserve your pump a bit longer.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the suggestion on the WD-40. Worked like a charm.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Good deal, glad it worked for you too. Also, while you're at it do the same to the vacuum pump for the SAI as well. Only exception, don't unhook the lines and start it up or you'll get a fault code. Just spray a bunch in there, hook it back up and you're good. I do this every few months, especially due to getting water in the system from pressure washing the motor.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default Vacuum Pump

My wife's SAI pump is making an bad noise now and she's had a fault code for > 1 year that our local mechanic couldn't solve (not a rover dealer). With the noise now very bad I have started to do my own research. I took off the SAI pump and made sure the filter was clean and was in good shape. My next step will ne to remove the control valves and clean and spray oil into the SAI pump.

Couple questions...

1) How does one go about cleaning the control valves - high powered air?
2) What is the "vacuum pump" that can also have WD-40 sprayed into... is this the reservoir?
3) What is the purpose of the solenoid? Is this to open and close something in the SAI?

I am going to have my wife get her code checked again. We just ignored it the last year but now that the noise is getting bad... got to address.

Final questions. Can I just unplug the SAI at the SAI Pump and drive the truck as normal (2003 Discovery 2)? Any potential damage? I live in Iowa so don't have emission checks.

Thanks.. that was my first post.