Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seems like a good place to park a land rover to me

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to me that if they really wanted to save the envionment they would have high emitting reserved parking that way we wouldn't have to circle the parking lot 5 times to find a spot. an electric car can circle all day and not bother anything.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overfences
um yeah, we are the ones paying for the gas...they can keep their opinions to themselves. handicapped parking discrimination is one thing. i pay $70 at the pump every 5 days, i'll park where i want.

LOL just filled mine up for the first time and Im with you.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just glue one of these to your cargo door.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INSTANT-HYBRID-C...6#ht_500wt_975

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Suede, Reiters is closed to all motorized vehicals. It sounds like it might be a temperary closure but who knows. There was another big area in Sultan Basin that was closed about 20 years ago. They like to close areas. I have never heard of Jacks pass or Iron Goat. Walker Valley Orv area is still open, it now gets more traffic from the old reiters pit users. I talked to a DNR guy up at walker he said the ORV sticker money from offroad vehicals is now going to public non orv city parks. Staddleline orv park should be opening soon.

Willie

Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie00d2
Suede, Reiters is closed to all motorized vehicals. It sounds like it might be a temperary closure but who knows. There was another big area in Sultan Basin that was closed about 20 years ago. They like to close areas. I have never heard of Jacks pass or Iron Goat. Walker Valley Orv area is still open, it now gets more traffic from the old reiters pit users. I talked to a DNR guy up at walker he said the ORV sticker money from offroad vehicals is now going to public non orv city parks. Staddleline orv park should be opening soon.

Willie

Thanx for the update. Hopefully it's not a permanent closure.

If you head through the town of Index past the bridge, and keep on going (10 miles or so?) until to road finally forks, then take the left fork up the dirt road - That's Jacks pass. It snakes through the mountains and dumps you out on the other end in Skykomish. A GREAT route to be aware of during HWY 2 closures after the inevitable summertime accidents that occur. There are tons of places to trail ride, shoot, camp, fish, and enjoy the summer.

About 9 miles east of the General store in Skykomish, there is a road on your left (just before the road starts it's steady incline up to the curves right before Stevens). If you take that left and go about 3/4 mile, you'll come upon a road on the right. That is the Iron Goat trail, and there are tons of trails/old logging roads, and the like that go on for MANY miles. You can easily spend an entire day (or whole weekend if you bring a gas supply) exploring. It's definitely only 4wd capable territory that's fun to trail ride in. Just make sure you've a healthy spare tire before heading in, because you'll get out of cell phone range. And because of the number of trails, it's a good idea to bring a GPS as well. Don't want to get lost back there as the territory expands all the way up to Darrington. You can easily go the day and not see a single sole.

If you are feeling really adventurous, you can access Windy ridge from the Iron Goat trail. It'll put ya at about 5500 ft elevation (a gain of about 1200 feet from the Iron Goat, and you can drive the old train tracks where Americas biggest rail accident occurred back in the early 1900's. There is an old WWII bomber that crashed during a Boeing flight test up there, as well as lingering bits from the train wreckage.

Last edited by Suede; 04-26-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Suede, I will have to check out those areas. Can you ride dirt bikes up there? I have a 97 Rm 250 with a desert tank on it so it has a long range. I am always looking for new trails. A GPS is a good idea. Do you need a modified Rover to get up to the Windy Ridge? My Discovery is pretty much stock, It has CDL, 245/75-16 BFG AT, OME shocks, stock springs, winch.

Willie

Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Willie00d2
Suede, I will have to check out those areas. Can you ride dirt bikes up there? I have a 97 Rm 250 with a desert tank on it so it has a long range. I am always looking for new trails. A GPS is a good idea. Do you need a modified Rover to get up to the Windy Ridge? My Discovery is pretty much stock, It has CDL, 245/75-16 BFG AT, OME shocks, stock springs, winch.

Willie
I haven't been up Jacks Pass this year, so don't know if they've added trail bike restrictions for this season. They did one year back in the late 90's, and again in 2002 - but it seems to be a year by year thing. I'd be very surprised if there is a restriction up there right now. The forest service never really even goes up there unless there is a rock slide, or other reason to. The biggest thing on Jacks pass is to be aware on the small trails since a lot of folks like to shoot up there.

You can take your bike up the Iron Goat trail, as well as up to Windy Ridge. Your stock Rover can make the climb, just take it slow all the way up. The terrain in that area has lots of ruts, and it's NOT a place you want to break something (fixing things on 30% grades is no fun!). VERY unlikely you'll

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Mudding

hmm i am thinking that we need to organize a trip up there. It is not too far from where i live in carnation...

Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing aggravates me more when I go to the store and see 16 empty handicapped parking spaces up front. Did you know that 1 Virginia coal mine can produce more energy than all of the solar panels and windmills in America combined?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by greenwade
hmm i am thinking that we need to organize a trip up there. It is not too far from where i live in carnation...

oops, my laptop battery died in the middle of my post last night. It's a great area. I spend the summers guidingrafting trips down the Wenatchee river out of Leavenworth - so it doesn't take much convincing to get me to trail ride up in that area. I'll pm my email. I'm headed out on a little sailing expedition here in about a week for most of spring, but I'll be game to hit the hills anytime this summer. I know the terrain up ther VERY well.

Quick Reply: seems like a good place to park a land rover to me