Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seized 4WD low gear selector.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:58 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized 4WD low gear selector.

I have just purchased a '98 Discovery I. It's been pretty beat all around, especially the interior with cigarrette burns etc. But mechanicly it seems sound. It has had the head gaskets replaced about 30,000mi ago along with a reconditionning of the heads. It has never been used for off road. I have started the 60k service. I am also servicing all the brakes, fixing oil leaks etc.

Going over the vehicle, I noted the transfer case selector is seized. I am new to LandRover. I don't know if you have to move the shifter left or right before moving it forward and back. I proceeded to remove the center console and I removed the shifter boot. I can see two levers connecting to the xfer case. Both apear to be stuck. I don't know how much force to apply here. Considering the truck has been used for city driving, I'm hoping it's only a case of lubricating.
Attached is a picture. You can see I have started to take some pins out to asses which levers are seized.
Do both levers move independantly or is there a sequence to follow?
I've downloaded several versions of the RAVE software, but can't find any with info on DI. They all have DII.
I also downloaded the parts catalogue, but require the dongle to run. Is there a crack for this? My local dealer is pretty much useless unless I give them a part number.

Thanks

Frank

[IMG]local://upfiles/8335/B9531AAFCA2A4B45BD07583ADF186668.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Seized 4WD low gear selector.

The levers move independently. The left to right motion is to lock the center diff and the top tp bottom motion is to shift from high to low range. The stuck lever is a very common issue on Series I Doscoveries and you have already done most of the work. I can explain how to get it going but it is much better described, with pics here: http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/ro...codifflock.htm

I have done this a couple times so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Before you get to far into this, take a deep breath and then be aware there is a solenoid that will lock the t/case. If the solenoid is not working, you cant shift it. If everything is cleaned and lubed and you can't shift it then start with the solenoid, check for powe to it. I know some people bypass and or remove it, it is designed to keep you from shifting into low with out the tranny in neutral, more of a saftey device.
Good luck.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
4th Gear

To update on the seized selector.....
I was able to get the side to side function working. However the front back function is still seized.
Following Disco Mike's suggestion, I checked for power on the blue wire with a test light. It came on very dim. In all gears neutral and drive. I also tried it with engine on and off. Still the same faint light.
Is that solenoid normaly open or closed?
How do I override the system?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

For a more informative answer from someone who has done this before PM Bene either on this site or LRO or LRRForums, he should be able to answer your questions.