Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Leveling Compressor Keeps running after car is shut off

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Leveling Compressor Keeps running after car is shut off

2001 Series II

I know its been answered somwhere but just cant seem to find it.

I just changed the brakes and went to test drive it last night. Now the air compressor just continues to run and run even after the car is shut off. I finally had to disconnect the power to the motor. The airbags do hold air. Now I get to drive around with the rover all pumped up. Kind of cool but probably not the safest thing to do.

Thank you for any assistance.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Will the compressor run for 30 min even after you shut the truck off?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default Will the compressor run for 30 min even after you shut the truck off?

I dont know if the battery will hold up to 30 minutes but yes it continues to run after the car is shut off. Why do you ask 30 minutes?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is normal for the compressor to run for upto 10 min after you shut the engine off.
If you dont think your battery will hold up that long then hook up a battery charger and see how long the compressor runs, within reason of course.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually, the compressor/valve body assembly will normally always vent a small amount of air when you turn off the engine and get out of the truck. It is not normal for the pump to run at all when shuting of the engine, with few exceptions, and if it does for less then a minute.
You need to have a shop, with the proper scanner, check for SLS codes, the last thing you want to do is over-heat and burn out that rather pricey pump assembly.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear
Default Similar

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Actually, the compressor/valve body assembly will normally always vent a small amount of air when you turn off the engine and get out of the truck. It is not normal for the pump to run at all when shuting of the engine, with few exceptions, and if it does for less then a minute.
You need to have a shop, with the proper scanner, check for SLS codes, the last thing you want to do is over-heat and burn out that rather pricey pump assembly.
I have a similar issue. The compressor vents as described above, about 5 seconds after the engine is shut off. The compressor does not continue to run...but as soon as I turn the ignition on again, it starts running.

I have left the car parked for a few days to see if it leans to one side or the other and it doesn't seem to, not is the suspension noticeably lower than when it was first parked.

This is a new compressor, it was changed less than 3000 miles ago.

Mark

V Reg D2.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 AM
3rd Gear

Have the level sensor attached to the link rod from the axle to the body , adjusted or replaced, check the left side next to your left rear tire.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

M<ark, it is normal to have the compressor run, usually for only 30 seconds or so do to you getting back in the truck, adding weight to the truck.
If it runs longer then that, you may have the beginning of a leak.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the responses, however (hangs head in shame), a more mechanically advanced friend of mine tells me that the noise I can hear is the in-tank fuel pump!

M.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
M<ark, it is normal to have the compressor run, usually for only 30 seconds or so do to you getting back in the truck, adding weight to the truck.
If it runs longer then that, you may have the beginning of a leak.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like a stuck relay

Quick Reply: Self Leveling Compressor Keeps running after car is shut off