Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-Leveling Suspension (SLS) Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Got it, thanks! Will get that checked out and report back.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:52 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Couple things. The relay is located in the under hood fuse box. I think it should be OK since your system is working.

When you had the air bags put back on, did they reprogram the SLABS? If you didn't have any lights on with the coils, the previous owner must have reprogrammed the SLABS to non-SLS. I'm not sure if the reprogram disables the system completely or not, but I would make sure that was done before you do anything else.

I have coils, but I still have the compressor on the truck and an extra in the garage. I think I still have my 2" spacers as well. Now you got me thinking of converting back!

Old 08-13-2021, 04:34 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I just converted mine back to SLS last week, re-ringed the original compressor and replaced the desicant/ filters, new Arnott bags, tested the LH-RH solenoid valve, and went with new VEMO height sensors. If your dash button isn't working, try shifting your rig into lo-range first. I haven't read the operation block in RAVE yet, but seem to remember off-road lift mode only being available in lo-range. Also, those dash lights are most likely SLABS telling you either a fault is present. After the SLABS is re-programmed, NanoCom in my case, the on-screen dialog tells you to shut the truck off for a minimum of 60 seconds for SLABS to save the settings / calibration. I had to do this twice before the computer held the SLS setting, and twice again before it held my height calibration. Worked in the end tho, and if your rear isn't sagging overnight it sounds like the battle is mostly won.

Rhys L.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:40 AM
Mudding

I'm not sure what my mechanic did when he added the SLS back for me. He said he calibrated and programmed the system. Is there a different setting for the SLABS?

With the coils in, the dash lights were off, so I know the previous owner had the SLABS reprogrammed for coils.

I vaguely remember my old '04 G4 that had SLS would work in high gear so low gear was not a requirement. I could be remembering wrong though but I'm pretty sure.

I knew coils would have been easier but I really wanted to restore this truck back to stock...

Old 08-16-2021, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by specops1526

I knew coils would have been easier but I really wanted to restore this truck back to stock...
Yeah, I know the feeling, it's totally not the popular option but I have this obsession with making all the stock dash buttons function as built. Why? Don't know. And you were correct, the lift button works in high and low range. Did you have any luck with finding fault codes?

Rhys L.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (08-19-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:42 AM
Mudding

Haven't had a chance to get a computer hooked up to check it out yet. Might be a little while before I can do that with life in the way at the moment...Hoping to look into it sooner than later.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I love a properly functioning SLS system, great for towing.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (08-19-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:01 PM
Mudding

Just an update on this. While my truck was at the body shop getting the sills replaced, the SLS had an issue and the truck dropped fully in the rear. They had a local Rover mechanic come by and look at it. He determined it was a height sensor failure that caused the issue. He ordered a new sensor and installed it. When I went to pick up truck, suspension was back to normal height and dash lights were off. Dash button now works to raise and lower truck. Guess it just needed the right mechanic who was familiar with the SLS to fix the dash lights and button. So far so good until it's not...

Old 12-01-2021, 11:58 PM
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slightly off topic...but you guys can probably help

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and a new discovery to owner. I got the truck a few months ago and I've steadily made some changes, I think for the better. Now I went a crossroads. To lift or not to lift, that is the question. I have a 2001 SE7 with an SLS system. Everything seems to work as it should. No lights on the dash, and the button raises the rear and lowers it back to driving position as it should. Also ordered a 2-in terra firma lift kit which was on sale for Black Friday from Lucky 8. Additionally I ordered 2-in front and rear spacers. They weren't super expensive, and I thought I'd try that first as an alternative to the lift kit. That was before it went on sale for Black Friday. So like most things, I end up spending twice as much as I should have and have too many parts left over unused.. but that's pretty typical for me.

So here's My questions.
​​​​​​ Should I just keep the truck stock?
Should I put in 2-in spacers in the front and 2-in spacers in the back while keeping the SLS system intact? (If I choose to do this, will it put too much strain on the brake lines in the rear if I choose to raise the back even further beyond the 2 in spacer?)
Should I put in the terra firma 2-in lift kit in the front and the spacers in the back, thereby raising the truck properly in the front and maintaining the SLS pneumatic system in the back while raising it 2 inches by using the spacers?
Last but not least, should I just install the terra firma 2-in lift kit front and back thereby converting the rear to springs and negating the SLS pneumatic system altogether.

Please anybody chime in your views, opinions, thoughts about all this stuff. I'd hate to go through it all and then be dissatisfied and want to convert everything back to where I started.

Best wishes to all for the holidays!

Old 12-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Partita3
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and a new discovery to owner. I got the truck a few months ago and I've steadily made some changes, I think for the better. Now I went a crossroads. To lift or not to lift, that is the question. I have a 2001 SE7 with an SLS system. Everything seems to work as it should. No lights on the dash, and the button raises the rear and lowers it back to driving position as it should. Also ordered a 2-in terra firma lift kit which was on sale for Black Friday from Lucky 8. Additionally I ordered 2-in front and rear spacers. They weren't super expensive, and I thought I'd try that first as an alternative to the lift kit. That was before it went on sale for Black Friday. So like most things, I end up spending twice as much as I should have and have too many parts left over unused.. but that's pretty typical for me.

So here's My questions.
​​​​​​ Should I just keep the truck stock?
Should I put in 2-in spacers in the front and 2-in spacers in the back while keeping the SLS system intact? (If I choose to do this, will it put too much strain on the brake lines in the rear if I choose to raise the back even further beyond the 2 in spacer?)
Should I put in the terra firma 2-in lift kit in the front and the spacers in the back, thereby raising the truck properly in the front and maintaining the SLS pneumatic system in the back while raising it 2 inches by using the spacers?
Last but not least, should I just install the terra firma 2-in lift kit front and back thereby converting the rear to springs and negating the SLS pneumatic system altogether.

Please anybody chime in your views, opinions, thoughts about all this stuff. I'd hate to go through it all and then be dissatisfied and want to convert everything back to where I started.

Best wishes to all for the holidays!

I'm not a fan of Terrafirma anything. My current truck had it when I bought it. I removed it and made the truck stock with SLS back in. If I were going to do a 2-inch lift, I would always go OME. I put that in one of my old trucks and it seemed much nicer than the Terrafirma. I even had the HD OME setup.

Riding around town with the SLS installed, I can really tell the difference. It's much more comfortable than the standard coil rear, but it will have it's weaknesses in terms of reliability.

In terms of what you should do, it will depend on how you intend to use your truck. Where are you located and what are your plans with the truck?

Quick Reply: Self-Leveling Suspension (SLS) Questions?