Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling your Disco

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:52 AM
TReK
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Selling your Disco

I'm kinda of at a crossways thinking of selling my 03
i asked a higher price and a few people are willing to pay
would you sell yours if the price was right ????

Old 08-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

My daughter in Colorado was offered $12k for hers. She said no.

What was she thinking?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:27 AM
TReK

I'm really on the fence I like looking at it It's in mint shape but I do quite a bit of Hwy driving and trails are 3 hours away
kinda feel like it's real purpose is being wasted

Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 03 rust free 60k mike disco I’ve been offered 10k , didn’t take it

Old 08-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I’ll say this, I had an 05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in Electric Lime Green. It was basically a Jeep Scrambler just 05 vs 1980’s technology. My family then grew and the LJ wasn’t a good vehicle option anymore. I fought to keep it as just my d/d off roader, but I lost the battle. It was my dad’s before I got it, and it was in mint condition with 50k on it in 2014. I barely got 14k for it. Now fast forward to today and you can’t first barely find that color in an LJ, they have well over 100k on them, they are far from perfect and the going price is over 20k easy!!

So honestly yes D2’s are going to become rare in good running/driving condition. I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked if I’d sell my Kalahari, and the answer is always OH HECK NO!! I sold a AA Yellow 97 RR P38 and regretted it the second I did it. Never again! I like classic vehicles and yes a D2 is certainly a classic vs bubble looking 4x4’s!

Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

You might be happier in something newer, more reliable and economical, but you will be part of the flock of sheep; all driving plastic bubble cars. You will have to have a warranty in case of electronic problems that you need a manufacturer's computer to diagnose and fix, so you will have to buy new or used with aftermarket warranty which brings the cost to a new payment anyway. Then keep getting something new every few years to stay with factory warranty so, lease forever more and pay for every ding and wear and tear issue every turn-in? New cars are becoming road-appliances more and more and we all might have to have one for basic transportation at some point, but I want to keep my "real" truck as long as possible.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

There's utterly no reason to ever sell it. My daughter bid on this one and won it for $500. Of course, I had to pay the $500! Then I had to rebuild the motor, another $2k.

Her aunts want to buy her a new car, but she's told them "Not until college." That's 2+ years away.

If that happens then her Disco 2 just becomes my permanent ranch 4x4. Might be time to retire the old 1978 Jeep CJ-5 at that point out there.

In the meantime, she's got high school kids and locals circling her trying to buy her "Randy" Disco 2. Not gonna happen.

Everything works on it. Hill Descent works. 4x4 works. Traction control works. ABS works. Both of the dual A/Cs work. Leather seats look almost new. Windshield wipers and 1 washer front/back work.

I installed a double DIN reverse camera for her that came with a DVD player and a bunch of bluetooth options so that she has hands-free cell phone calling and Spotify music streaming... pretty ideal for a 16 year old girl.

She hasn't let me put a lift kit on it and she doesn't want a roof rack (dang it!).

Cruise control still works. Sun roofs work. Rain doesn't leak in (motor and power steering leak out, though!).

Our family needs at least one 4x4, so I just don't see a reason to ever sell this Disco. It blows the old CJ-5 away in every category except gas mileage.

For now, it is the 16 year old's Daily Driver. In the future it will be the family's reserve 4x4... maybe even the only 4x4 if the old CJ-5 leaves us.

I did do the motor right. I really, really wanted to short-cut the rebuild and just do the Main+rod bearings with the motor still in situ, but somehow I kept talking myself into the whole engine-out rebuild so I ended up replacing the cam bearings, too. Plus I did the Cometic metal head gaskets instead of the el Cheapo rubber head gaskets, and I used the ARP head studs that are reusable (and they enable precise torquing).

That plus the Crower cam really perks up this motor!

Anyone buying it (won't happen on my watch!) wouldn't even begin to appreciate how "right" I've made this Disco.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:57 AM
TReK

Even though there isn't any off-road trails where I am I still like driving
man you guys make good points about it being unique

Old 08-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Seriously? Is it modded or what? The market here is been getting weird.. really high prices for junk

Originally Posted by zuke
My daughter in Colorado was offered $12k for hers. She said no.

What was she thinking?

Old 08-07-2018, 03:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Noticed a new Discovery at work. So, went over to their parking lot (upper crust) to take this picture...three white SUV's in the lot...two Ford Explorer's and the Discovery...took a minute to figure out which one was which.

Drove to and from Ohio, round trip 700 miles...and never saw another Dll (in route, saw plenty at the LR event...lol). Hoever, saw a lot of SUV's that were either a LR or something that looked like them.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Selling your Disco