Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serious Help

A Bit of A Story:

I work for the government in the military. I run around and blow stuff up and break things. That's what I'm good at. I'm at a point to where when I talk, people have to do what I say. The best part about all that is that all my friends are in similar positions of influence.

I talked to one of my buddies about my Disco problems. Yeah, my buddy runs a motorpool for the military. He said, "Pull it in and let one of my guys take a look at it." It's important to say that I talked to my buddy without anyone else around.

I pull it in and he gives me a 'pass/leave safety inspection' which I learned is another way of justifying why a personally owned vehicle is in a military mechanic's bay. One of the mechanics looks at it and says, "this u joint is bad. You get any vibration?" Holy Cow!

He showed me what JKID was talking about by wiggling the various ends of the drive lines and what-not. Kinda interesting stuff.

On Saturday two of the Sergeants and I are going to the 'rent-a-bay' automotive and getting this thing less-broken! I know that it's not difficult to fix, but it just makes me feel better knowing that I'm getting a little help with this thing, not only from my buddy's guys but form everyone on the internet!

Hooray for internet and friends!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Stop driving it right now, or pull the driveshaft and lock the transfer case so you can drive it. Otherwise,you will be replacing the transmission too when the driveshaft slaps a hole in the side of it. I'm not kidding. It is the front driveshaft causing the problem, right?

Dave

Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, don't drive it until you fix the u-joint. You may want to do a search for the 60K service on here that DiscoMike has prepared. The only difference on yours from the list id to use ATF in the power steering, if it calls for it in the manual. Mine is a 97 and takes ATF fluid, but not sure about previous years.

I went on a call in Waterown NY. Funny... I went into a bar with my assosciate that night. We were talking and 2 girls approached us. We engaged in conversation for a few minutes. One of them asked how long we had been in, and I replied that I was now "out" and a private contractor for the military. They just said oh, and walked away. They were looking for a paycheck from the gov. I have been there, and there isn't much to do in Watertown.

Cheers

Old 02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you must be at Fort Drum. I've been by there plenty of times. There's plenty to do up there, it just depends on what you want, it's nice country. Good camping, four wheeling if you can find it and the best snowmobiling anywhere. I bet those guys will figure it out. Let us know how you make out.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Drifting

OK, so here's the current happenings:

Steering stabilizer: I replaced the factory one with an OME unit. Seeing as the factory one was rusted through with no fluid left in it, I'll say that it'll make a difference. I had to cut the old on off with a Saws-All, and THAT was funny!

U-Joints: the little clips that hold the ends on were actually NOT THERE! Needless to say that I had to change both of them on the front line and then grease up the front driveline a bit. I haven't road tested it too much yet, so of course it isn't TRULY fixed until the fault doesn't come back.

Happy Disco-ing, and thanks to all the fine men and women who have helped me so far. I will continue to quote you when I need a good quote.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear

Anyone know how to shut off the alarm system on 01 Disco? I would like to leave vehicle running and lock doors.