Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon Light

All,

The Service Engine Soon light came on in my 02 Disco2 about 2weeks ago @ ~29k miles [:'(]. It came on at Start-up one day and has stayed on since. I have read some of the older posts for this SES light, but have a few questions:

1) The light is on steady, is this a service interval reminder or a lower level OBD2 fault?
2) Whatever the reason for the fault (or assuming the fault has been repaired), can it be reset using the relay on the right side kick panel or does it take an OBD2 scanner?
3) What are typical replacement intervals for spark plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter?

I am planning on following some of the advice from past posts and will replace wires w/magnacor 8mm, plugs w/Bosch +4's as well asreplacefuel filter, air filter (if req), and an oil/filter change.

Any help isappreicated and thanks in advance,
JeffQ

Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Service Engine Soon Light

Jeff, the light doesn't come on at specific service intervals so something's causing it to come on and stay on.

There are a number of usual suspects when it comes to SES lights (O2 sensors, cats, etc.) but the route of the problem could stem at some front-end function (MAF, plugs/wires or other things that could throw off the mixture). Aaddatives or engine treatments and also throwa temporarycode.

Ultimately, you're probably best off going to your local Autozone or some other parts store that'll do a quick code-read for you. That'll be much easier than process of elimination.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Mudding

yea go to autozone or advance auto. O'rileys doesn't do it. Garages charge most of the time. and Adv. always does it for free.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply, the fact that the light is fault related is what I wanted to check. I am planning on grabbing the Disco2 when I get home from workand making a trip down to the local Discount Auto Parts for a "code reading".......then, as you said, I will know how to proceed.

Regards,
JeffQ

Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem, go get the codes from Auto Zone (or any auto place). Just ask for an engine code scan and they will do it free. Mine came out to be something that was a accidently set off so I just had them cleared. When you get the codes come back on here and comeone will let you know if you need to have it looked at. Actually mine went off about 4 days later so maybe you will have the same luck!!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Once you get the codes read, get back to us with the exact fault code numbers so we can help you.
Mike

Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Mudding

yea mine came on when i went off road and go in serious mud and water. Ended up getting water in the air filter. it shut the engine off then the light came on. Got the scan and i got water in my intake. its now all clean and i have a new K&n Airfilter in. Runs great, i just have to get the light turned off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6143/35E78E5AA46C4B1DBA0B914CE0D3F97F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

So when are you going to get rid of that K&N, it is a fact they kill Bosch MAFS big time.
Mike

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi Guys,
Couplea thoughts on this. My Wife didn't used to believe me when I harped on her 'bout using Premium unleaded. Then her SES light started showing up, truck only has 42k miles & it's an '04. I told her to fill it up with premium & threw in a bottle o' SeaFoam & Lucas for good measure, drank a few shots of Cuervo & soon enough everything started working right. Haven't had the codes pulled but we're going in for our 45k service in a few weeks so we'll find out more then....

Just my 2 cents, whatever they're worth

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

When ever you get a check engine light, don't wait until it is convienent for you, you can have a serious problem going on and cause yourself some serious $$$$$$$. Just go by a local auto parts store and get the fault codes read and get back to us with them.
Whatever you do, don't listen to the wife regarding fuel octanes, she is most likely not in the know and you can cause your truck some serious carbon problems.
Mike

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light