Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaking steering wheel, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking steering wheel, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I have a 2000 Discovery II with 160 k miles on it . I've noticed a minor shake in the steering wheel while driving and a major steering wheel shake while breaking at around 45 mph. I've read up on ths and some say it could be tires need balance , steering damper, steering box , or drive shaft. I don't even know where to begin! Please help!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

start with the simple things....

Check disk "run out" for any warping. Then try balancing the front wheels, it is possible that a weight fell off.

Then go from there...

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wheel bearing........followed by front discs out of true.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maing74
drive shaft. I don't even know where to begin! Please help!
First of all, have you re-built you front drive shaft with greaseable parts? IMO, this is just as important as your steering issue...X2 on what Urban & wheelgarage posted.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
First of all, have you re-built you front drive shaft with greaseable parts? IMO, this is just as important as your steering issue...X2 on what Urban & wheelgarage posted.
Don't cloud the issue. Front propshaft won't have anything to do with wonky steering.

For the OP, when it's worse on braking the most likely culprit is warped rotors.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Mudding

lift up the front, put a pair of jack stands under your axles, grab your wheel and push and pull on it and you feel movment, it can be your upper or lower ball joints, or your tie- rod ends,or wheel bearings if there is no play then it would be your steering dampner.Doubt it would be your steering box as when they go bad its because of bad seals or bearings and you would hear noise and or see fluid from it.Also check your steering likage from the fire wall to your steering box for play.Also as stated above it could be warped brakes, as your driving appy the braves very soft and if you feel the shaking getting worse then it is the brakes, if this is the problem , replace the rotors and pads, and rebuild the calipers as your brake piston could be seized in place causing the pads to ride on you rotors causing them to over heat.The piston rebuild kit for all four is around $30.00 suposed to $175. for each front caliper , its a easey job.

Last edited by ajmille; 06-24-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
Don't cloud the issue. Front propshaft won't have anything to do with wonky steering.

For the OP, when it's worse on braking the most likely culprit is warped rotors.
Tom, I totally respect you and I've learned a lot about LRs over the years from you, but I never wrote the front driveshaft had ANYTHING to do with his "wonky steering"...all I asked if he had replaced it with greaseable parts and stated it was just as important as his steering issue...and if you noticed, I agreed with Urban Panzer and wheelgarage on what to check with his steering issue.

I've read up on ths and some say it could be...or drive shaft...I don't even know where to begin! Please help!
The OP brought up the issue of it being the driveshaft from something he read...and asking a junior member if he replaced it yet is not clouding any issue. It's all about communication...

Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
Tom, I totally respect you and I've learned a lot about LRs over the years from you, but I never wrote the front driveshaft had ANYTHING to do with his "wonky steering"...all I asked if he had replaced it with greaseable parts and stated it was just as important as his steering issue...and if you noticed, I agreed with Urban Panzer and wheelgarage on what to check with his steering issue.
I get what you're saying, but the way you asked the question, with no caveats, could lead the OP to think it's related.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be checking into it this weekend. what type of rotors do you recomend and should i replace all four? thank you for your time . i really appricieate it because i am new to working on my own rig. ussually i alway take it the dealer but im tired of paying am arm and a leg
thanks agian.
Alex

Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Winching

I will be checking into it this weekend. what type of rotors do you recomend and should i replace all four? thank you for your time . i really appricieate it because i am new to working on my own rig. ussually i alway take it the dealer but im tired of paying am arm and a leg
thanks agian.
Alex
Hey Alex...the stock rotors are actually very good...I would replace all 4 if it were me.

Quick Reply: Shaking steering wheel, PLEASE HELP!!!!!