Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shock and springs poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default shock and springs poll

After looking at many threads, I cannot decide which brand of shocks and springs are the best. My rover is reaching 130,000 and I feel it is time to commit to a new system. That's why I am asking for as many members to tell us all which shock and spring system they choose, and if they liked them or not liked them.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Terrafirma makes some decent accessories, but as far as springs go, I had both rear 2" lift, medium load springs break in the same place. -No hard core off-roading or overloading either. Old Man Emu is tried and true by the world over-for good reason. I replaced the Tf's with OME and I'm confident they'll outlast the truck. OME shocks are holding up well and I have a Tf steering stabilizer that is good as well. No experience with Tf shocks..

Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

TF all around for me, light to moderate wheeling, 2 inch medium duty kit. With an arb on the front the kit lifted me 2.5 inches, saggy original springs I guess on my 02 with 110k. No noticeable ride change over stock

Old 09-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm happy with my OME springs , and so far so good with my terrafirma 3" adjustable shocks

Old 09-29-2017, 10:13 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

At 170k miles I replaced my original shocks with Terrafirma shocks all around, and the original front coils with Allmakes replacements from Lucky8. I don't do any serious offroading but I do throw the truck around in the sand and mud when I do get out there. Not really any crawling though.
The difference in comfort was staggering, especially after doing the front. I'm very happy so far.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually good to see this thread today, I am struggling with suspensions decisions.

My truck has 92000 miles and seems to be very crashy over small bumps. The suspension seems to dampen OK but I cant help think that it is riding harsh for what was a luxury vehicle so to speak. I have thought about a lift and just bought new 30.6 inch tires and don't want to make them look too small. OME has a decent 40mm lift but I am undecided on springs. To make matters worse I am building on a budget like most and would like to get it right first time. TF seems to be a little higher and I don't think I like that idea. To complicate matters I would like to add a winch but not sure about the investment in a steel bumper. Ach, its a vicious cycle. I will be doing some offroading but afraid too without the winch, lol.

Being in Toronto, its a decent drive on the highway to anything offroad so it would be nice to have comfort on road as well.

I was leaning to the OME medium duty set but can it take a bumper and winch? I have researched this to the nth degree. 0-100-200kg, steel bull bar, bull bar plus winch, none to light alloy bull bar, bwah hah. I really like the ARB bar but pricey. Don't particulary like the cheaper bars where the winch is plonked visibly on the front.

Anyway, I realize that I am going round in circles, just fun to get it off my chest.

I'll probably go OME HD front, regular rear, eventually.

Cheers

Old 09-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomzsix
After looking at many threads, I cannot decide which brand of shocks and springs are the best. My rover is reaching 130,000 and I feel it is time to commit to a new system. That's why I am asking for as many members to tell us all which shock and spring system they choose, and if they liked them or not liked them.
On road or offroad? For on road/highway the standard SLS air springs are the best at the rear but for offroad these guys know better than me. I currently run TF118's and 119's which are good for on road but using Lemforder springs.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Here is some INFO re: the OMG spring rates

" I was leaning to the OME medium duty set but can it take a bumper and winch? "

The following users liked this post:
grammin (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Great info for OME. TF has the same application sheet, as well. Obviously, it's either OME or TF. What about original equipment from Land Rover themselves? Are ALL products manufactured in China?? I can have some custom springs built from Oregon springs in Portland, but seems very expensive route. I guess it comes down to tensile strength, maybe.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Basically this - if you want to save money, go with Terrafirma. If you have money, go with OME. Personally happy with RTE springs and Fox shocks, but that's a whole other animal for pricing.

Quick Reply: shock and springs poll