Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocking Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shocking Question

Looking for recommendations for what shocks to use on my factory height suspension to help with the weight of the winch. I don't want beat to death but I also don't want the suspension bottoming out on every bump because of the extra weight. Will the OME firm shock kit that AB sells do the trick? My Rover has 111,000 on it. Will the stock springs handle the extra weight? In the future I will probably lift it but as long as it is an extra vehicle for my parents while I am gone i am going to leave it at stock height.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Shocking Question

The shocks will not lift your truck or help you with the extra weight. At you mileage, you need both shocks and coils, HD OME's for sure.
Your truck, with it's mileage has dropped close to an inch and a half and needs to be raised for a bumper and winch.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the HD spring and shock kit (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9393HD2.cfm) be too stiff for a daily driver? I noticed with my factory springs it will sag when I fill the tank up or have a few passengers and their gear. I was considering the medium duty springs, but I think it may be a better idea to run the HD kit.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM
TReK

I am looking at the same kit at AB as Switzer. Will this kit (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9393HD.cfm) provide any lift or is this just stock height HD springs.

I was also looking at the Super Gaz 1-5/8" HD Lift. Not sure which way to go. I want to buy from AB because I have a $300 credit that will go a long toward a suspension upgrade. Has anyone ever used the Super Gaz parts? Anything I go with will be heavy duty to support the weight of the winch up front and a heavy duty bumper on the rear.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even with heavy duty springs the ride will not be bad... i have RTE heavy duty springs on my rig and its very comfortable... with the added weight of aftermarket bumpers and winches i would definately go with HD springs...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For what it is worth, buying a kit where you can't select the spring rate or buying a no name is a bad way to go.
Go to https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.htm , read up on John article on springs and then call Tony at LRRF, 650-365-4145 for the best price on line for OME's, a well proven set up.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Mudding

No one replied about the Gaz kit AB got it on sale for 519 bucks HD . I checked their website out and they look reputable... Beats the hell out of 700 for an OME. Is it the name or what ?

Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM
TReK

Called and spoke with Brian at Atlantic British today about suspensions. The OME HD kit (9393HD & 9393HD2) are 2" lifts for the D1 and D2 respectively. I also asked about how the Super Gaz kit compared to the OME and was told that it will be a smaller lift but other than that is very comparable. The price difference is because of the Super Gaz name not being as well known. Brian at AB said the Super Gaz system will hold up just as well as the OME.

I like the idea of the lower price but I want the 2" lift of the OME system. Also going to upgrade to extended stainless steel brake lines when I install the lift.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling

I am currently running a 1 inch Toddco spacer lift. I unfortunately threw away the old bolts holding the spring seat to the axle when I used the new hardware. Does anyone know what size the factory bolts are? Is this the right bolt?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/103015.cfm

I'm planning to get rid of the spacers when I switch to OME springs and shocks.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
TReK

Best advice I can offer is to call AB and tell them what you are doing and they should know what hardware you need. Get the sizes and go to Home Depot or somewhere and get the bolts cheaper.