Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocking Question... conversion to coil rear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocking Question... conversion to coil rear.

At some point in it's life, my '99 Disco had the air springs removed, in favor of coils. All of the self leveling stuff was disconnected.

When I bought the truck, it felt to me like it had blown shocks all around.

Unfortunately when I ordered a new set of shocks at a local parts house, I didn't have the option to buy rear shocks meant for coil springs, and I am beginning to feel as if this was a mistake.

The truck rocks (sways) side to side as if the shocks are doing nothing. I can grab the roof rail and rock the truck and it rocks side to side very easily. It's not as if it will continue to rock for very long, but it takes far too long (in my opinion), for it to settle back completely.

It's not as if I'm looking to have my spine shattered by a suspension made of granite, but compared to another Rover I drove recently, mine may as well not have any shocks on the rear.

Can anyone else confirm or deny: that rear shocks designed for the SLS rear air bag suspension, don't work well with rear coils?

I've pulled the trigger on a new complete set of Terrafirma HD shocks (designed for coils and no ACE) in the hopes that they will reign this truck in.

I replaced the Watts linkage, and all sway bar links thinking that was the problem, but no... it didn't change a thing. I was even considering a bigger rear sway bar to stop it, but I hope the TF shocks help.