Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks n springs for 04 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:09 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks n springs for 04 Disco II

Im wondering what brand to go with for shocks and springs on my 04' Disco II? Ive looked at OME, Terrafirma, and Bilstein. Im looking for the best overall quality, but I also dont want to have too stiff (or too loose) of a ride. I have a Baja roof rack w/ ladder, ARB bull bar w/ Warn 9000 n IPF 900's, Rear diff skid plate, and Safari snorkel. I would think I would want HD due to the added weight, but if so, is it enough added weight to ease the ride of HD? I would also like to gain an inch or so lift out of the replacement kit... Any ideas/thoughts?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Try Justin at Lucky8 LLC from what i've read you can tell him your exact equipment and he can pretty much tell you what spring rate and shocking is best suited for you.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with OME. With all of your equipment you'll probably want the HD setup, but talk to Justin at Lucky 8, and maybe you can come up with something custom (mix and match rather than a kit) that will be a good balance for your rig.

FWIW, I've got the 2" medium duty OME kit (from Lucky8), and I gained just under 2" from the sagging stock springs. It's pretty firm on road, but I've only got a roof rack currently. Ill be installing my winch tray/A-Bar and my VR12000 next week sometime, so that should soften things up a bit.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the info, I shot him an email we'll see what he says.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

x2 for touching base with Justin. I like my TF 3" lift, but I'm not sure how it's going to sit once I add my winch and winch bumper.

@RoverFlea, Where are you located at in Pittsburgh? Drop me a PM if you're interested in getting hooked up with our local Rover group...

Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 PM
7th Gear

Thanks man I dropped you a line, Im out by Cranberry, PA

Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
7th Gear

Ok, so honestly Im not impressed with this guy at all... Ive tried to get a basic answer out of him over the past week of exchanging emails. My question being: "I have upgrades (X,Y,Z), and I want to get new springs, shocks, and a steering damper from you guys. What exactly do you think I should get?" Well after a week of exchanging emails I basically have no answers. It seems like hes watching TV or something when he responds becuase Im getting half assed answers that dont really answer any specific question of mine. Seriously... 4 volleys of emails with no info on the type of duty or brand of spring, no talk about the damper, and a generic answer on a TF 3" lift kit for the shocks... FAIL! So, anyone have any knowledge on this topic?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have found that direct contact works best... i.e pick up the phone and call him. I have called him numerous times without fail getting exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes not even knowing what I was looking for. Email, well when you are busy running a profitable business is an agitation. I usually think that if you only respect my time for an email than it must not be that important to YOU. so why should I spend my time writing back when phone call will take about the same amount of time and actually get us both what we need. Just my 2 cents. Oh and Justin is one of the best around.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2...they probably get bombarded with emails so it might not be Justin answering the emails, give the shop a call and ask for him.

Remember, he is a small business owner, so he could be elbow deep in a Rover engine bay, or taking out the garbage, cut him some slack.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want some help on which to buy, send me your number and I'll call you back with your options based on what you have on your truck and the type of wheeling you want to be doing.

Quick Reply: Shocks n springs for 04 Disco II