Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Buy A Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I Buy A Discovery?

Just remember, it is british and its not a rolls royce...think of it as a rolls rough. It will have a few quirks but it will last. My 1995 disco has around right under 300k miles and it runs fine, although rough idle, and bad gas mileage. I will drive this car till the engine ceases to operate, and then instead of buying a new car ill just buy and import a caterpillar diesal for them from south america. I ignore all the small leaks and just top off my fluids when needed (once a month roughly, except radiator which is everyother week). I cant afford parts so i ghetto rig things. I rebuilt my altenator whith Buick Parts, Used a front driveshaft i had made at a tractor and agricultural equipment store, and JB weld my radiator when a new hole is found. I dont even use expensive oil, i just use the 5w 30 napa brand, and a quart of lucas oil stabalizer, any electrical problems i have and i go to radio shack to buy switches to bypass everything, for instance i have to turn on my rear lights and interior lights whith toggle switches, and the headlights with the typical wand on the steering column. To me it is reliable transport from point A to point B, as well as a towing vehicle and a hunting truck.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Mad billy your rover is just under 300k WOW! [:@]

Old 01-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Mudding

Yep and it keps on ticking, i put over thirty thousand miles alone on it in the past 4 months, lots of driving from Tennesee to Oklahoma.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Madbilly all I can say is wow. People who say rovers don't last are those who don't know their vehicles

ROVER ON DUDE.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Mudding

yeah i kinda have to "rover on" i cant afford a new car, i cant even afford repairs, im impoverished, if it breaks i ghetto rig it, its funny bc if my engine block cracks or something i will probaly set a world record for liberal amounts of jb weld used. If you pop the hod it looks like frankenstein with all the mismatched parts and bailing wire and duct tape and jb weld iv used. iv only had to replace a water pump, rebuild an altenator(using a slithgtly modified BUICK stator), and change out a coil that i used one thats not even made for the land rover, and my front drive shaft i ripped off of some irrigation equipment that just happened to fit. My radiator looks like swiss cheese and is gcovered in JB weld that i patched holes with, most of my hoses are those generic flex type, the thermostat is from a gm 4.3 liter vortec engine. I dont use genuine land rover parts, hell i dont even use parts for land rovers except for the water pump. I have always ran 87 octane, i dont use synthetic oil, i use the 99 cent cheapo oil, in whatever viscosity is on sale, my master cylander for brakes is bad but i got use to it bc thay are too expensive for me to fix, and the e-brake is there in an emergency. i have never flushed any fluids really except oil and trans fluid once (my radiator flushed itself every now and again). I dont understand why this guy shouldnt buy a land rover, espcellay if he is somewhat mechanicaly savy, if it breaks, save the money and dont even use land rover parts, use misc. parts from a do it yourself scrap yard. If you have to buy parts for it save a ton of money and order the PROLINE brand from rovers north. My disco is a 95 and these are the ones that are supposedly unreliable, and full of bugs, maybe im lucky and got the ANTI lemon, or else other people just suck and think they have to fix things the hard and expensive way, of course if i had the money things would be done right but im dirt *** poor so im screwed in life.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Madbilly I gotta give it to ya man

Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Mudding

I hate it when people act like you need to baby these things with lines like "i use synthetic oil" or "i only use 91 octane" or my least favorite "use genuine parts they are made to withstand the rigors of use that land rover's impose on their vehicles. The land rover is built with tight tolerances ya know" i call bs. Ghetto rig any and every thing that you can, treat it like **** and dont even wash it, i dont and apparently my plan worked. A slightly cracked head gasket cleans the engine you know, it is true, a little water prevents carbon build ups. JB weld works wonders on anything. Hell, run the tires until you see metal strands. I have the stock shocks on it still, and my tires are dry rotting. All my powerwindows still work except that the piece of plastic thing that holds it on track broke, but i used some plastic rings from home depot and made new ones for the two rear for a total of 65 cents. My 2 sunroofs work but my front sunrof is missing two of the bolts that hold the windoe to the track (anyone know where i can get some more?). My alpine windows are starting to leak bc the runner is rotting and splitting, but that is nothing silicone wont fix out of a tube of caulk that i have left over from fixing my bathroom. Oh yeah and save money on key blanks and use ones from a nissan truck, worked for me 2 times. I lost my gas cap and i took one off of a volvo. If someone is having problems with ther rover its probaly bc they think too hard on how to "properly" fix it whereas i think with my wallet (empty of course). Buy a discovery and dont be a moron and bitch about things like leaking fluids and rough idles, just deal with it, it isnt really all that refined, old discos arent even luxiorious.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Madbilly you cool straight to the point I like the term ghetto rig it man Yo that's tight I'm in college so I ain't got much money either except for my walmart job but hey I agree with you when money is low GHETTO RIG IT.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Mudding

the politicaly corect term is "Afro engineer". yeah im in college as well, thats why im soooo broke. i bartend and make good money, but my mortgagae and woman take all my money up.