Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Finisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Side Finisher

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted.

I just got a side finisher to replace my old one that I ripped and tore off to route some wiring. Turns out the old one had a black sealant where the clips were supposed to be (not done by me) and it was a PITA to get off.

But I've carved all the sealant away and tried to put the new one back on but I feel like I can't clip those darn spring clips in no matter how aggressive I am.

Anyone have a hack ?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If your talking about the A-pillar trim, there is a video on how to remove/install on Atlatic British site. I just did these on my Disco and the video was very helpful.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Andy2Rover
If your talking about the A-pillar trim, there is a video on how to remove/install on Atlatic British site. I just did these on my Disco and the video was very helpful.
Yeah I watched and referred to the video last night while I was trying to reinstall. Even after watching that and following doug step by step, the A - pillar would not budge. I've heard it's a pita but I didn't expect it not to at least want to clip.

Disco Web has a Thread about it, but that was merely referring to the video. I guess I'll just try and try again

Old 08-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember if at first you don't succeed you are about average. D*

Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

That black goop is from the factory I believe because my 03 didn't have it, but my 04 did.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may need new clips. Once they bend, they are very hard to clip on.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the clips are positioned properly on the trim (you have them on the trim, not the actual A-pillar correct?) before you try to install.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Andy2Rover
Make sure the clips are positioned properly on the trim (you have them on the trim, not the actual A-pillar correct?) before you try to install.
Yeah roger that. The trim clips are still connected to the side finisher, although a bit bent due to some hard knocks it took as a result of my aggressiveness.

My Disco is an '02 and it had the black goop. Why would they put something like that on there if the trim can attach with clips perfectly well? (Not perfectly well in my case obviously)

Old 08-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much help now but for future wire routing it's much easier to remove and put back the inside finisher.

A lesson I learnt the hard way as I broke all the clips trying to get the outside one back on. Ended up buying new from ones from Malaysia which have a new and a lot easier way of fitting them (no clips). Cheap too; I think they were $70 for both.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D24.6
Not much help now but for future wire routing it's much easier to remove and put back the inside finisher.
Depends on what you are wiring. Lights on a roof rack for example would be easier better to run outside.

Originally Posted by D24.6
lesson I learnt the hard way as I broke all the clips trying to get the outside one back on. Ended up buying new from ones from Malaysia which have a new and a lot easier way of fitting them (no clips). Cheap too; I think they were $70 for both.
I would like to see how those work. Where did you find them?

Quick Reply: Side Finisher