Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/side-side-look-discovery-i-ii-28599/)

Camdisco24 02-01-2010 03:07 PM

A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II

5 Attachment(s)
A common question asked on our forum is the difference between a Discovery I and Discovery II. It is a very good question, because there is a noticeable difference between the two. Both are extremely good trucks with more pros than cons. The point of this thread is to give potential Discovery buyers a visual head to head of the The Land Rover Discovery I & II.

Discovery I: 1989-1999
Discovery II: 1999.5-2004 (Pictured is 99-02)

FRONT:

Let's take a look at the front. As you can see, the Discovery I and II are very similar in styling. The main difference is the headlights and doorhandles. On the series I, the headlights are not as squared off as the Series II. On the series I the doorhandles are flat and do not stick out like the doorhandles on a Series II. Other than that, there are only a few minor changes in the body style, it really comes to to preference when choosing.

Attachment 47760

REAR:

Again, very minor difference here. The obvious is the rear taillights. On the Series I, the taillights sit lower and are a bit smaller than the Series II, who's taillights sit higher and are taller. The rear bumpers are different in style, but both models have the turn signals and rear fog lamps integrated into the bumper.

Attachment 47761

INTERIOR:

The Series II interior is basically a more refined version of the series I. Both have similar styling and the main difference is the Series II has a few more bells and whistles and an upgraded center control system (AC, Audio, ect). Both interiors are fairly simple to use once you get used to them, however placement of some buttons may make you scratch your head. Sometimes you just shouldn't question what they were thinking in Jolly Olde England when they designed these trucks.

Attachment 47762

2003-2004 Discovery II

The Series II was given a face lift in 2003 and 2004. The grille, headlamps, and front bumper were restyled for '03 and '04, and instrument graphics were also revised. The headlights were upgraded and very stylish. The rear taillights now had the turn signal in the upper portion and the reverse lights in the bumper. Here is a look at the front and back:

Attachment 47763

INTERIOR:

Pretty much the same as the 99-02, but the color options were different and some of the instrument graphics were improved.

Attachment 47764

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choosing between a Series I and II comes down to personal preference. The Discovery I has much less electronics and comes stock with CDL (Center Differential Lock). The Discovery II has more bells and whistles, but lacks stock CDL. (The 2004 model DOES have CDL stock!) On a Series II, CDL can easily be added on year range 99-01. The reason I keep mentioning "CDL" is because if you ever plan to use your Discovery off road (which you should!) you will most defiantly want to have CDL.

No matter which model you buy, you will love it. These trucks can take you on some of the most epic adventures ever and yet, covered in mud, you can still pull up to a Five Star restaurant and fit right in. They are the perfect balance of luxury and adventure and they'll be sure to impress at pavements end. Good luck choosing a Discovery, you've found the best place on the net for Land Rover help!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you understand the physical difference between the Series I and II READ THIS so you know what to look for when buying a Discovery:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

Camdisco24 02-01-2010 03:10 PM

This is not a mechanical topic, just a side by side physical look at the two models since it is a common question.

So we can refer to this thread in the future, please put your take on either the Disco I or II. Include:

Pros and Cons
Likes and Dislikes of specific features
Reasons for choosing specific Disco
Anything you feel potential DI or DII owners should know!

Thanks for any input! Hopefully this thread will help in the future when we have people split between DI and DII.

NiteTrain 02-01-2010 03:44 PM

the different height tail lights are the give away for me when I see a disco on the road.

christianmotox 02-01-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by NiteTrain (Post 160315)
the different height tail lights are the give away for me when I see a disco on the road.

Yep, depending on the angle, its ether the tail light or the door handles.

unimoged 02-01-2010 06:00 PM

Although I have owned a few DI s and DIIs, in my opinion the DII is the better choice for daily driving and the DI is the better choice for off-roading because:
  • It has the shorter overhangs especially in the rear.
  • It has CDL.
  • It has enclosed hubs in the front axle versus the exposed CV joints on the DII.
Presently, I drive a 2004 DII SE7 and immensely enjoyed it this past weekend in the snow / ice storm that hit us. The hill decent / traction control and CDL worked impeccably well.

Camdisco24 02-02-2010 01:45 PM

I have had a Discovery II for nearly 3 years now.
I trust it to get me where I need to go on or off road.
The styling is classic, and personally I prefer the refined look of the Disco II.
The interior is built strong, even 10 year later it looks new with just basic care.
Off road it is amazing, BUT as I mentioned in the original post, a CDL upgrade is a MUST for off roaders. That is my one and only downside to the DII, no CDL.
The electronics have never been an issue for me, I think I have replaced one blown fuse in three years.
For me, the DII is perfect because it has all the comforts it needs on road, and its amazing for a recreational off roader like myself.

Both are great trucks, in fact, if I had the money I'd have BOTH!

gowest 02-02-2010 03:32 PM

I like the "luxury" of the DII and "simplicity" of the DI.

Door handles catch my eye first.

uncc09meet 02-02-2010 08:07 PM

I've never even owned one, but have never had a problem distinguishing them. I loved the D1 until the D2 came out, and then I just thought the D1 looked unfinished. Regardless, the Discovery has been my all-time favorite vehicle, and I plan on getting an '04 Disco SE soon and then A 1991-1993 RR Classic SWB later. I always love Land Rovers and hope we get diesel ones in the US sometime soon, so owning one won't be so intense at the pump.

greg409 02-02-2010 08:38 PM

I distinguish by taillights, mainly,

may I digress

I think those who buy any land rover fall into (3) basic categories:

Those who have enough descretionary income to want all the amenities that can come on a given vehicle - they maintain by schedule @ the dealer

The group who want to appear that way - I'm good with that - I feel bad when they rant what a piece of junk rovers are.

Then those of us who buy said vehicle, pay cash, If we're simply re-furbishing, spend
a couple hundred or thousand to bring it up to snuff and enjoy the crap out of it.

I had a '96 p38 160k mi - new eas bags, bushings, brakes, tires, tune up (by me) & loved it til premium exceeded $4/gal - sold

At the same time tho' I'm keeping my '97 DI 130k mi, pretty stock, rides great, better than most off-road & so simple it's silly. Thank God I love working on stuff, but it's getting better.

I'm not certain that the slight improvement in the DII styling over the DI simplicity
would swing me to a DII

luck,greg

hilltoppersx 02-03-2010 07:45 AM

like salve and a few others on the forum i have owned both a D1 and a D2 and I really loved the CDL on my D1. Sometimes I wish I had never sold it, if I could have the styling of the D2 with the simplicity of a D1 preferably a diesel D1 i would be a happy man.

antichrist 02-03-2010 10:56 AM

The DII styling doesn't matter to me, certainly not enough to buy one. The fat ass, lack of manual gearbox, lack of CDL, dependence on electrickery for off-roadability and stupid axle design keep be away.

yloDiscoII 02-03-2010 11:09 AM

Also having owned both a DI and DII, they are about even in the Pro's and Con's department for me. But, gun to my head, I'd give the edge to the DI.

DI - CDL, less reliance on electronics, felt more solid off road. Simpler and easier to work on (in some cases). Interior was less "refined" (not necessarily a bad thing).

DII - I like the look of the DII a little better, feels much wider and rides much smoother on road. More "luxury." But, with my DII I find myself staring at the dash just waiting for some sort of warning light to come on or my driveshaft to murder my transmission:rolleyes:

That's just my opinion though. But good idea for a thread!

okdiscoguy 02-03-2010 12:57 PM

I love my D1, it is still the daily for me. People still ask if it is new, so the styling does not bother me in the least. More than capable offroad without the hassle of the amigos.

I have had this truck in many places I should not have. I have pushed water and snow both with the hood and shouldn't have made it, but I did. This truck has gotten me out of a couple of severe emergencies, and I wouldn't want to trust that to the electronics on a D2...

hilltoppersx 02-03-2010 02:05 PM

yeah but what is life without your best friends... your amigos.

okdiscoguy 02-03-2010 02:36 PM

HA! (Spoken in the voice of Joe from Family Guy)

leadfoot 02-03-2010 03:15 PM

DI vs DII

I own a DI. I also have 4 kids, so normally one or two ride in the jump seats. Recently I thought of changing to the DII just because of lower mileage and specially to have the rear seats face forward. To my amazement, all four of my kids rode in the DII and decided they much rather have the leg room of the sideways jump seats of the DI. They also say that if you are a kid and you are seating on the very back, at least you can look towards the back on DI. :)

Camdisco24 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 160618)
yeah but what is life without your best friends... your amigos.

Your amigos should always be there for you...
In a DII, they are!

hilltoppersx 02-04-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Camdisco24 (Post 160787)
Your amigos should always be there for you...
In a DII, they are!

i think that was part of the original AD campaign..

"The all new 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2, bringing your spanish friends to the party since '99"

jycsalas 02-04-2010 06:01 PM

Nice thread cam. You beat me to it.

PS.... I dropped off the three amigos back in November...

kahits 02-05-2010 12:29 AM

I love this thread, as well. Having been lucky to get the first NAS Defender 110 (#67) in the state, I owned it for 15 years, before my kids out grew the back seats, and I just could not justify it's value any longer and sold it. Of course, I had already come to realize the D1 was easily it's equal, if not better, with better leg room, the same off road capability, and at a tenth the cost I sold the D110 for. With a rebuilt engine, and all the components I needed, to put it to work the way I did with the Defender. My wife was happy and even though I am missing the clear coating on the roof and hood, this is my baby. Now I just need to wear out the stock sized tires to fill the fenders, after the 2" lift. What great vehicles these have become.

Urban Panzer 02-05-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by antichrist (Post 160604)
The DII styling doesn't matter to me, certainly not enough to buy one. The fat ass, lack of manual gearbox, lack of CDL, dependence on electrickery for off-roadability and stupid axle design keep be away.

The axle design / fit on the D2 gives is more abilty / Flex off road than a D1, In "most" cases a D2 with TC will go just as far if not further than a D1 with only a CDL , add a CDL to a D2 and combine that with TC and it blows it out the water.

The auto in the D2 in low range can be used as a manual box.

okdiscoguy 02-05-2010 09:15 AM

I agree with UP. My only hang up is that I would not have taken my D2 where I took my D1. It was through pretty deep water. On trails and through snow, I would rather have the TC of a D2. If everything is working right, a D2 with TC is better than a D1 with just a locking CDL.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-16-2010 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by kahits (Post 160882)
I love this thread, as well. Having been lucky to get the first NAS Defender 110 (#67) in the state, I owned it for 15 years, before my kids out grew the back seats, and I just could not justify it's value any longer and sold it. Of course, I had already come to realize the D1 was easily it's equal, if not better, with better leg room, the same off road capability, and at a tenth the cost I sold the D110 for. With a rebuilt engine, and all the components I needed, to put it to work the way I did with the Defender. My wife was happy and even though I am missing the clear coating on the roof and hood, this is my baby. Now I just need to wear out the stock sized tires to fill the fenders, after the 2" lift. What great vehicles these have become.

Iwould have thought the 110 would be the better.

I do like my DI, but I was driving a 2 wheel Chevy SportVan90 with a 283 3 speed offroad in Ga and Fla. long time ago.

Frank4 04-16-2010 02:24 AM

Is the DI equipped with the same type of throttle body warmer as the DII?

fideladio 10-08-2010 09:36 PM

Do the Headlights of the Disco II and Disco II - 03/04 fits into the Disco I?
Can I put the tailights of the Disco II in a Disco I?

antichrist 10-26-2010 02:05 PM

Just came back to this thread.

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer (Post 160904)
The axle design / fit on the D2 gives is more abilty / Flex off road than a D1, In "most" cases a D2 with TC will go just as far if not further than a D1 with only a CDL , add a CDL to a D2 and combine that with TC and it blows it out the water.

The auto in the D2 in low range can be used as a manual box.

TC is great until it dies from some fault. Then you're left, in the case of most US models, up the creak since they don't even have CDL.

What do you do in a D2 when you break a half-shaft or CV? Call a tow truck if you don't have a spare with you.
In a D1 you pull out the offending part and drive home.

I use a manual gearbox in more than just low-range. But I know many people prefer an automatic, which is fine. I just meant for me that's a con.

hilltoppersx 10-26-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by fideladio (Post 202952)

you can do anything if you have enough money and equipment. but easily no and no.

Camdisco24 10-26-2010 02:54 PM

Just to add to what Hilltopper said, ive seen people add DII (99-02) lights. I dont know why anyone would want to do that, but ive seen it done. (Never 03-04 light though...)

yloDiscoII 10-26-2010 03:06 PM

Ditto to above, the simple answer is NO they do not FIT. But you can make them fit.....

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pi...&pictureid=511

ShadowMerchantBC 08-14-2011 11:50 PM

This is a great debate for someone in my shoes (who's about to get his hands on a d2).

Having owned a D1 for several months I've become quit educated on the mechanical aspects of the Disco 1. Glad I was able to get my hands on something which presented me with several mechanical challenges to take advantage of!

Despite never having owned a Disco 2, I do desire this more stylish version, with its increased cargo space, horsepower, torque, on road stability and traction control. Now I do understand that some models do NOT come with the CDL installed however the manufacturer's did make the transfer case compatible for a CDL to be installed aftermarket. Regarding the D1 CDL -most though equipped (sometime after 94 I think) do not even work due to lack of use and typically freeze/rust up, as was the case with my D1 and so many others. Furthermore - most if not all the D2's I've been watching on Craigslist in the local area around NH have the CDL installed!

Afew things to consider about the D1:
The D1 also had severe issues with the propshaft design (on early D1 models). The rubber flex coupler! Those things just fall apart. True it dident have a direct threat on the transfer case as is the case with the D2 but still a defect and extremely dangerous nevertheless. Not sure about the D2 but the power steering system on D1 models was also faulty, in particular the ps gearbox. Leaking ps fluid could potentially settle on a hot catalytic converter and start a fire! The engine itself has several problems of it's own as well - including bad cam and piston design which is pron to wear quickly and the notorious engine misfires that just dont seem to ever go away no matter what you replace. The location of the transmission in conjunction with the cross member and exhaust system make replacing a "simple" transmission filter an extremely difficult time consuming job! Fortunately the D2 design corrects this issue. The interior trim pieces are cheap quality (supposedly higher quality in the D2). You may be hard pressed to find a D1 that doesn't have an SRS, abs or check engine light illuminated. Seat and window motors are faulty and have a very short lifespan. Rear cargo door handle is another common issue with D1- like the CDL the cargo door handles have a tendency to freeze/rust up. All this combined with a slightly shorter cargo bay, no 3rd front facing seats and less hp and torque make the pros and cons "EVEN"! Also worth noting the a healthy D1 gets afew miles more per gallon then the entire D2 line.

dcarr1971 08-15-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC (Post 262604)
...The rubber flex coupler! Those things just fall apart. True it dident have a direct threat on the transfer case as is the case with the D2 but still a defect and extremely dangerous nevertheless...

FYI...The D2's use exactly the same flex coupler on the rear drive shaft as the D1's. The idea is supposedly that it was supposed to absorb some of the driveline vibrations. (IIRC, some BMW's use a similar flex coupler.)

OffroadFrance 10-29-2013 05:15 PM

I have owned Series LR's, RR's and two D2's. The RR Sport is a great vehicle but too 'pretty' for general use and is really a 'shopping trolley'. I owned a 1 year old 4.0 D2 HSE 2000 model but for a couple of years (it drank petrol wherever you go) and then changed it for a new 2003 D2 Td5 ES7. I have to admit that the D2 is the most useful towing vehicle I've ever driven. I've towed box trailers with a mass of 3.5 tons for thousands of miles at speeds of around 80 mph without any problems. The D2 is also great for carrying building materials for renovations even without the trailer. On a motorway it's easy to cruise at 80mph and some more but it's very economical at around 70-75mph (about 29mpg) I've considered changing it for a 3.0 TD D4 but it would be a shame to use a newish truck for hauling building materials so maybe that's for later.

TRIARII 10-30-2013 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII (Post 160606)
But, with my DII I find myself staring at the dash just waiting for some sort of warning light to come on or my driveshaft to murder my transmission:rolleyes:

Changing out the stock front driveshaft is a really straight forward easy job on the D2. The D1 also has a nortorious drive shaft issue which many people tend not to mention on these forums! The rear rubber coupler design was faulty. DAP has some examples of a failed rubber coupler off a rear D1 shaft and let me tell you that was scary! RoversNorth sells a updated design rear shaft which corrects that fault ;)

Regarding the CDL. I do believe that early D1 models did NOT have the CDL, just as 2001-3 did not have them. But Early and final year D2's do have the CDL so you guys really can't use that as a con aginst the D2.

The D2 has a crapy placement for the crankshaft poistion sensor which when touched by water god forbid... And the 3 amigos. The average cost of fixing the amigos what $200-400? Well the D1 has a ****ty power steering gearbox which is notorious for failure. Price for a new one starts around $400-800! And they are a BLOODY pain in the ass to replace due to lack of space.

Both models use same crappy unreliable engine though the D2 gets more liters. So your still gonna have to deal with overheating and headgasket problems. But I've heard the radiator replacement for the D2 cost much less than for the D1.

The point here is that the D1 is not better by a long shot, nor more reliable. Their about tied.

TRIARII 10-30-2013 05:58 AM

Oh and let's not forget those nimble blinkers that have a tendency to "disappear". Apparently LR felt a simple spring would secure the blinkers to the body securely.... And of course the rear bumper end caps which love to fall off! As a former D1 owner I don't miss the daily walkarounds I had to do each time I got out of my vehicle, just to ensure the front blinkers and rear bumper end caps where still attached... God forbid if a cop noticed something missing........ the D2 took care of all that though so I can focus more time on amigos ;)

Also forgot about the rear wells which had the tendency to rot right through, making them a instant fail on NH state inspections! Don't know how but it appears that the wheel well rot issue was also addressed on the D2.

antichrist 10-30-2013 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by TRIARII (Post 428621)
Changing out the stock front driveshaft is a really straight forward easy job on the D2. The D1 also has a nortorious drive shaft issue which many people tend not to mention on these forums!

They don't mention it because it's not anywhere near the same level as the D2. Little different than any other u-joint.

The rear rubber coupler design was faulty.
Not a faulty design. It's a very common design to reduce shock loading and/or vibration. It does have it's weak points, but that doesn't mean it's a bad design.

Regarding the CDL. I do believe that early D1 models did NOT have the CDL, just as 2001-3 did not have them. But Early and final year D2's do have the CDL so you guys really can't use that as a con aginst the D2.
All D1's had a CDL.

Well the D1 has a ****ty power steering gearbox which is notorious for failure. Price for a new one starts around $400-800! And they are a BLOODY pain in the ass to replace due to lack of space.
Prone to leaking, which is really different from failure. They aren't a big deal to replace.

But I've heard the radiator replacement for the D2 cost much less than for the D1.
True, because the D2 radiators are crappy Al/plastic radiators.

Oh and let's not forget those nimble blinkers that have a tendency to "disappear". Apparently LR felt a simple spring would secure the blinkers to the body securely.... And of course the rear bumper end caps which love to fall off! As a former D1 owner I don't miss the daily walkarounds I had to do each time I got out of my vehicle, just to ensure the front blinkers and rear bumper end caps where still attached...
Odd. In 12 years of D1 ownership I've never lost a indicator light assembly. I did have one get broken when a large rock fell off a truck and hit it and broke it. You're the first person I've ever seen, in the last 19 years, complain about them randomly falling out. Doesn't sound like much of an issue to me.

The bumper end caps can be an issue when off-roading, and get ripped off. That's the only time I've lost one.

TRIARII 10-30-2013 08:31 AM

I watched a video on YouTube a while back, some off road exports were testing the early UK Discovery models off road and though the vehicles capabilities were reconized they said the vehicles should be fitted with diff lockers - which implied to me that early models were not yet equipped with cdl. Keep in mind the Disco has been out since 1989 in the UK. Early UK models differ A LOT from anything you or I have access to here in the states. Roof rails and runroofs were not yet fitted and the interior was just cloth. The typical color was radar blue. A cool ice box between the seats was also common on early models along with a handle bar on the dashboard for the front passenger. Also used different engines and settings then was ever seen here in the US.

The blinkers or indicators (whatever you call them) are the big Orange lights positioned next to the headlight assemblies and they DO fall of easily over time just like rear bumper end caps. Mine fell out during normal driving. Also there are a respectiple number of D1's around the local area and most every one of them have hanging rear bumper end caps - guess the owner has not figured out how to re secure them.

The power steering system is known for leaks all over but the power steering gearbox was also a fault design according to DAP. Least that's what they told me when I called about getting mine replaced. The boxes are pretty dam heavy and there is not much room for wiggling it out from the engine bay. For you, perhaps its all easy stuff since your an expert and your D1 is in tip top condition ;) but for the average newb, it is a very time consumeing job. Also noted on the show "wheeler dealers" they bought a cheap old D1 and guess what it needed replaced? Power steering gearbox! They are expensive even for a used part.

A rubber coupler that looked liked a dog made it his chew toy, does not sound same at all to me. Still recommends to replace with the update shaft - if it was not a big deal then why would RN be offering it?

I'll get back to you about the 1989 UK Disco and the cdl. Have to try to find the vid or another source.

drowssap 10-30-2013 08:39 AM

I will have to assume what they meant were front and rear differential lockers not the transfer case.

antichrist 10-30-2013 10:18 AM

Yes, they were talking about axle diff lockers. I've been driving Land Rovers since '75, I know when the Discovery came on the market.

Like I said, you're the very first person in 19 years of Discoveries in the US, and longer in the UK, that I've seen complain about the lights falling out. I'm not going to say you're the only one who's had it happen, but it's not the problem, in general, your anecdotal experience has convinced you it is.

Even when totally puking oil the steering gearboxes keep working. Also, if you're pulling them up out of the engine bay, no wonder it's a trial for you.

If you use the roto-flex longer than it's design life it will fail (or a poor quality aftermarket one) and look like a chew toy.
Many people offer the cardan u-joint conversion because, like I said, they both have pros and cons. Many people, like me, prefer a cardan u-joint for off-roading. If I didn't ever off-road, or did it very little, then the roto-flex would be fine.

Dan7 10-30-2013 08:26 PM

04 DII all the way but it hits the limit of my mechanical prowess (otherwise I'd have gone with an LR4!). It has the CDL, the most power available, better headlights and all the best refinements Disco's had to offer. It's be a long list of times I've said "Why the @#$! did LR do that?", but in reality, nothing ended up being complicated to fix. Stupid maybe...more difficult than necessary, certainly! But not complicated, which I can live with.

OffroadFrance 10-31-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan7 (Post 428715)
04 DII all the way but it hits the limit of my mechanical prowess (otherwise I'd have gone with an LR4!). It has the CDL, the most power available, better headlights and all the best refinements Disco's had to offer. It's be a long list of times I've said "Why the @#$! did LR do that?", but in reality, nothing ended up being complicated to fix. Stupid maybe...more difficult than necessary, certainly! But not complicated, which I can live with.

Sadly Dan7, the RR and Discos are seen as status symbols in many places so the shapes and technical wizardry is ever increasing to meet the desires of the 'celebs' rather than a 4x4 workhorse. In the UK something like 95% of Landrover Discos and RR's sold in the past 20 years have NEVER been off road and many reside in the city centers. In the UK these 4x4's are nicknamed 'Chelsea Tractors' or 'Shopping Trolleys' as that's what they do and where they are kept. Waste of good 4x4's unfortunately :rolleyes:.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=jorda...w=1163&bih=593

A typical example :o.