Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II

A common question asked on our forum is the difference between a Discovery I and Discovery II. It is a very good question, because there is a noticeable difference between the two. Both are extremely good trucks with more pros than cons. The point of this thread is to give potential Discovery buyers a visual head to head of the The Land Rover Discovery I & II.

Discovery I: 1989-1999
Discovery II: 1999.5-2004 (Pictured is 99-02)

FRONT:

Let's take a look at the front. As you can see, the Discovery I and II are very similar in styling. The main difference is the headlights and doorhandles. On the series I, the headlights are not as squared off as the Series II. On the series I the doorhandles are flat and do not stick out like the doorhandles on a Series II. Other than that, there are only a few minor changes in the body style, it really comes to to preference when choosing.

Name:  sidebyside1.jpg
Views: 10416
Size:  39.0 KB

REAR:

Again, very minor difference here. The obvious is the rear taillights. On the Series I, the taillights sit lower and are a bit smaller than the Series II, who's taillights sit higher and are taller. The rear bumpers are different in style, but both models have the turn signals and rear fog lamps integrated into the bumper.

Name:  sidebyside2.jpg
Views: 9455
Size:  43.8 KB

INTERIOR:

The Series II interior is basically a more refined version of the series I. Both have similar styling and the main difference is the Series II has a few more bells and whistles and an upgraded center control system (AC, Audio, ect). Both interiors are fairly simple to use once you get used to them, however placement of some buttons may make you scratch your head. Sometimes you just shouldn't question what they were thinking in Jolly Olde England when they designed these trucks.

Name:  sidebyside3.jpg
Views: 9019
Size:  33.6 KB

2003-2004 Discovery II

The Series II was given a face lift in 2003 and 2004. The grille, headlamps, and front bumper were restyled for '03 and '04, and instrument graphics were also revised. The headlights were upgraded and very stylish. The rear taillights now had the turn signal in the upper portion and the reverse lights in the bumper. Here is a look at the front and back:

Name:  sidebyside4.jpg
Views: 8607
Size:  31.2 KB

INTERIOR:

Pretty much the same as the 99-02, but the color options were different and some of the instrument graphics were improved.

Name:  04disco3.jpg
Views: 8650
Size:  21.6 KB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choosing between a Series I and II comes down to personal preference. The Discovery I has much less electronics and comes stock with CDL (Center Differential Lock). The Discovery II has more bells and whistles, but lacks stock CDL. (The 2004 model DOES have CDL stock!) On a Series II, CDL can easily be added on year range 99-01. The reason I keep mentioning "CDL" is because if you ever plan to use your Discovery off road (which you should!) you will most defiantly want to have CDL.

No matter which model you buy, you will love it. These trucks can take you on some of the most epic adventures ever and yet, covered in mud, you can still pull up to a Five Star restaurant and fit right in. They are the perfect balance of luxury and adventure and they'll be sure to impress at pavements end. Good luck choosing a Discovery, you've found the best place on the net for Land Rover help!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you understand the physical difference between the Series I and II READ THIS so you know what to look for when buying a Discovery:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

The following 2 users liked this post by Camdisco24:
Alpinewhitetaninterior (04-02-2020), docvoltage (02-24-2015)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM
TReK

This is not a mechanical topic, just a side by side physical look at the two models since it is a common question.

So we can refer to this thread in the future, please put your take on either the Disco I or II. Include:

Pros and Cons
Likes and Dislikes of specific features
Reasons for choosing specific Disco
Anything you feel potential DI or DII owners should know!

Thanks for any input! Hopefully this thread will help in the future when we have people split between DI and DII.

Last edited by jycsalas; 02-04-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the different height tail lights are the give away for me when I see a disco on the road.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
the different height tail lights are the give away for me when I see a disco on the road.
Yep, depending on the angle, its ether the tail light or the door handles.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I have owned a few DI s and DIIs, in my opinion the DII is the better choice for daily driving and the DI is the better choice for off-roading because:
  • It has the shorter overhangs especially in the rear.
  • It has CDL.
  • It has enclosed hubs in the front axle versus the exposed CV joints on the DII.
Presently, I drive a 2004 DII SE7 and immensely enjoyed it this past weekend in the snow / ice storm that hit us. The hill decent / traction control and CDL worked impeccably well.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
TReK

I have had a Discovery II for nearly 3 years now.
I trust it to get me where I need to go on or off road.
The styling is classic, and personally I prefer the refined look of the Disco II.
The interior is built strong, even 10 year later it looks new with just basic care.
Off road it is amazing, BUT as I mentioned in the original post, a CDL upgrade is a MUST for off roaders. That is my one and only downside to the DII, no CDL.
The electronics have never been an issue for me, I think I have replaced one blown fuse in three years.
For me, the DII is perfect because it has all the comforts it needs on road, and its amazing for a recreational off roader like myself.

Both are great trucks, in fact, if I had the money I'd have BOTH!

Last edited by Camdisco24; 02-03-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the "luxury" of the DII and "simplicity" of the DI.

Door handles catch my eye first.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never even owned one, but have never had a problem distinguishing them. I loved the D1 until the D2 came out, and then I just thought the D1 looked unfinished. Regardless, the Discovery has been my all-time favorite vehicle, and I plan on getting an '04 Disco SE soon and then A 1991-1993 RR Classic SWB later. I always love Land Rovers and hope we get diesel ones in the US sometime soon, so owning one won't be so intense at the pump.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I distinguish by taillights, mainly,

may I digress

I think those who buy any land rover fall into (3) basic categories:

Those who have enough descretionary income to want all the amenities that can come on a given vehicle - they maintain by schedule @ the dealer

The group who want to appear that way - I'm good with that - I feel bad when they rant what a piece of junk rovers are.

Then those of us who buy said vehicle, pay cash, If we're simply re-furbishing, spend
a couple hundred or thousand to bring it up to snuff and enjoy the crap out of it.

I had a '96 p38 160k mi - new eas bags, bushings, brakes, tires, tune up (by me) & loved it til premium exceeded $4/gal - sold

At the same time tho' I'm keeping my '97 DI 130k mi, pretty stock, rides great, better than most off-road & so simple it's silly. Thank God I love working on stuff, but it's getting better.

I'm not certain that the slight improvement in the DII styling over the DI simplicity
would swing me to a DII

luck,greg

The following users liked this post:
Alpinewhitetaninterior (04-02-2020)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

like salve and a few others on the forum i have owned both a D1 and a D2 and I really loved the CDL on my D1. Sometimes I wish I had never sold it, if I could have the styling of the D2 with the simplicity of a D1 preferably a diesel D1 i would be a happy man.

Quick Reply: A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II