Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/side-side-look-discovery-i-ii-28599/)

antichrist 02-03-2010 10:56 AM

The DII styling doesn't matter to me, certainly not enough to buy one. The fat ass, lack of manual gearbox, lack of CDL, dependence on electrickery for off-roadability and stupid axle design keep be away.

yloDiscoII 02-03-2010 11:09 AM

Also having owned both a DI and DII, they are about even in the Pro's and Con's department for me. But, gun to my head, I'd give the edge to the DI.

DI - CDL, less reliance on electronics, felt more solid off road. Simpler and easier to work on (in some cases). Interior was less "refined" (not necessarily a bad thing).

DII - I like the look of the DII a little better, feels much wider and rides much smoother on road. More "luxury." But, with my DII I find myself staring at the dash just waiting for some sort of warning light to come on or my driveshaft to murder my transmission:rolleyes:

That's just my opinion though. But good idea for a thread!

okdiscoguy 02-03-2010 12:57 PM

I love my D1, it is still the daily for me. People still ask if it is new, so the styling does not bother me in the least. More than capable offroad without the hassle of the amigos.

I have had this truck in many places I should not have. I have pushed water and snow both with the hood and shouldn't have made it, but I did. This truck has gotten me out of a couple of severe emergencies, and I wouldn't want to trust that to the electronics on a D2...

hilltoppersx 02-03-2010 02:05 PM

yeah but what is life without your best friends... your amigos.

okdiscoguy 02-03-2010 02:36 PM

HA! (Spoken in the voice of Joe from Family Guy)

leadfoot 02-03-2010 03:15 PM

DI vs DII

I own a DI. I also have 4 kids, so normally one or two ride in the jump seats. Recently I thought of changing to the DII just because of lower mileage and specially to have the rear seats face forward. To my amazement, all four of my kids rode in the DII and decided they much rather have the leg room of the sideways jump seats of the DI. They also say that if you are a kid and you are seating on the very back, at least you can look towards the back on DI. :)

Camdisco24 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 160618)
yeah but what is life without your best friends... your amigos.

Your amigos should always be there for you...
In a DII, they are!

hilltoppersx 02-04-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Camdisco24 (Post 160787)
Your amigos should always be there for you...
In a DII, they are!

i think that was part of the original AD campaign..

"The all new 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2, bringing your spanish friends to the party since '99"

jycsalas 02-04-2010 06:01 PM

Nice thread cam. You beat me to it.

PS.... I dropped off the three amigos back in November...

kahits 02-05-2010 12:29 AM

I love this thread, as well. Having been lucky to get the first NAS Defender 110 (#67) in the state, I owned it for 15 years, before my kids out grew the back seats, and I just could not justify it's value any longer and sold it. Of course, I had already come to realize the D1 was easily it's equal, if not better, with better leg room, the same off road capability, and at a tenth the cost I sold the D110 for. With a rebuilt engine, and all the components I needed, to put it to work the way I did with the Defender. My wife was happy and even though I am missing the clear coating on the roof and hood, this is my baby. Now I just need to wear out the stock sized tires to fill the fenders, after the 2" lift. What great vehicles these have become.