Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side view mirror, spring-load busted? wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Side view mirror, spring-load busted?

I'm thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to selling the Disco. Stuff's breaking way faster than I can fix it.

Yesterday I spent 4 hours dropping the headliner and repairing the sunroof drains, used plastic epoxy and covered it with silicone, everything was perfect.

Well, I drove to work in a waterfall again today. So something else is cracked/broken on the sunroof system. The tubes WERE broken on each side, but there's something else going on too I guess.

So I go outside at work to put a plastic sheet over it, but I parked next to a wall (more space on the other side so people don't ding my door since I just got the stupid doors repainted at work) soooo I push the side mirror in so I can fit by, and the spring mechanism inside broke!

Great, now my waterfall mobile has a floppy passenger side mirror.

Any ideas how I can fix it? Can I even open them up?

I just took it off the other day to fix my WINDOW REGULATOR which was another 4 hour project - I know it's 3 bolts to remove it, but I'm trying to get inside of it.

So frustrating. Thinking about selling both cars and just getting an 06 RR Sport or 08 Cayenne (V6, new body style)

Last edited by EstorilM; 12-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

never heard of that spring busting. i even had my old lady drive my truck hit a parked box truck with the mirror and only the glass broke the spring was fine.... i would just get a used one from Will Tillery and call it a day.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
never heard of that spring busting. i even had my old lady drive my truck hit a parked box truck with the mirror and only the glass broke the spring was fine.... i would just get a used one from Will Tillery and call it a day.
Fiiiigures. Hm. Yeah that's what I'll do probably, but there's already a cue of used crap I need so I guess I'll just add it to the list.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

as for the headliner i would pull it out. inspect all your seals you made should be 4 then make sure the seal on the sunroofs is tight sometimes the tracks can get messy and let water in. otherwise i would say check your roof rail holes, a pillar and window seals especially the windshield at the a pillar.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Winching

For the record (and to help others with forum searches) I fixed this the other day by taking the mirror apart (glass pops out) and (supporting the bottom of the mirror so it doesn't break off) pressing the circlip spring thing back onto the post which holds the mirror down - it had popped off. This requires a LOT OF FORCE to press it back on (and I had to bend the prongs in slightly so it would grab) so get a friend to help, and don't forget to have one of you support the bottom of the mirror so you're not just pushing down on it.

edit: as for the roof... whatever I did with the drain tubes the other day had some kinda impact on this. I think instead of dripping down the sides / A pillars it's now coming down the center, pooling above the plastic overhead console parts, and DUMPING onto me when I turn slightly. This also took my radio out of commission the other day, but luckily she came back to life.

My guess is that water is now pooling in the center of the collector since the leaks were fixed on both sides finally - however I'm guessing the center of the plastic frame is cracked somewhere which is why it's coming down the center now. I'm going to rip my hair out when I drop this headliner for the 3rd time lol.

Last edited by EstorilM; 12-14-2010 at 08:28 AM.