Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sitting for 7 years...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

OK dont forget once you get it running check the brakes out first, no good going if you cant Stop!!

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I bought 2 LR's that had sat for 2+ years. One needed a fuel pump, and the other one needed a starter and CPS (apparently they cranked it so much the starter died). Both then fired up, idled and drove onto a trailer.

Sometimes people just give up on the simplest things. My 99 D2 was basically abandoned for 6 months over a dead alternator and battery! Replaced em both & drove it home like it had never sat more than a day.

Sixpack577 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is the spot to open/close the sunroof manually?

Also, is there a way to unlock side and back doors manually with the battery dead?

Old 06-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Leave the sunroof alone until priorities are done; you do not want it stuck.
Manually.... no, except key. Try jumper cables from a new external battery (that you have to get anyway) hooked observing polarity to the + starter terminal and chassis under the vehicle. Open hood as soon as gain access, to discard the old battery.
Priority 1 is brakes.

Last edited by Externet; 06-02-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Pop trim cover off one small trim piece by each sunroof directly below the motor basically. Then you can insert an Allen & crank it open/closed. If it's been sitting I wouldn't be surprised if the rear one is slightly open anyways.

Not a big deal at all to manually close them with the proper Allen. I would only verify they were closed at this time.

Priority #1 once power is applied = roll a window down just in case (you will thank me later) dunno how many times people get em superlocked by mistake & then your SOL..

Last edited by Best4x4; 06-02-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:26 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I got this one near me apparently sitting for 3 years and it was running then
Thinking of grabbing it. They want 1500 I offered 800 that’s Canadian.

cvhyatt (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Closed the deal this afternoon and got it towed to my house.
The good:
Body is incredible; zero rust, no damage repair, two very small door dings and that’s it. Gave her a bath and she cleaned up great!
Interior is also in great shape; no tears, door cards perfect.
65K miles and two owners.
Definitely a southern car based on undercarriage (I’m in Arkansas); some fasteners rusty, frame has minor rust at welds but nothing beyond that.
The bad:
Learned from previous owner engine was replaced in 2011. She gave me receipt for change-out; indy shop charged her $6K. She says mechanic looked for the best engine for a year. Sourced it out of TX, donor had 45K miles. No way to verify that since I tried contacting the shop and number is no longer active.
Been sitting since 2012 (I thought 7 years but actually 8; at that point who’s counting...).
Had “some kind of problem with the fuel system” when she tried to get it going again in 2013.
Sunroofs leak (no surprise on that one).
Windshield is cracked.

I pulled all the plugs this evening in preparation for lubricating the cylinders per your suggestions. I’m also ordering some new injectors in hopes that the “fuel system problem” will be resolved with the change out. They need to come out anyway based on comments.

I’ve attached a couple of pics so you can see how she cleaned up. Thanks again to everyone for your help, and I’ll keep you posted on progress!

This afternoon before I got it towed to my house.

Was in a carport partially protected.

It was actually white, not green!

Just a bath, no wax or polish yet.

Almost perfect paint and body!

Sixpack577 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:03 AM
Drifting
Default Before and after

Everyone’s help has been fantastic! Got my new Disco home last week on a flat bed and started assessing the situation. The good and the bad:

Good -

Body and interior are incredible! Absolutely zero rust, no previous body work, only a couple of very minor door dings. Pics I’ve attached are just after a wash, no wax or polishing. Interior is black vinyl; no rips in seats, carpets are perfect, RR mats are great, no cracks in the dash. Of course needs new shifter and emergency brake boots, but otherwise clean it and go.
Engine bay is tidy, not hacked up with previous work. No rodent damage.
Wheels are about as good as you can get. Not even any curb rash.

The bad -

Sunroofs leak like crazy. Headliner was wet after wash. Has to be replaced anyway due to sag and damage.
Windshield is cracked.
Tires are dry rotted.
Big one - engine has been sitting for 8 years with no activity.

To do list (please comment):
New fuel injectors
New plugs and wires
New oil and filter
New coolant
New water pump
New drive belt
New battery

Once confirm I can get it running, move on to tires, brakes and power steering. Change out all transmission/diff fluids as well.

Great suggestion from several of you regarding pulling plugs and lubricating cylinders. Used fogging oil in each and let it sit for a couple of days. Turned it by hand last night and no problems! Already pulled plenum and replaced gasket and fuel injectors. Already changed water pump and oil/filter. Hope to finish up belt, plugs/wires and replace plenum today with goal of attempting a crank this evening.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions, and let me know if you see any pitfalls I’m ignoring!

Super excited about getting it back on the road!

Was sitting here for 8 years...

No it’s not green...

Half way there!

Nothing but a bath; no polish or wax and still shiny!

The following 4 users liked this post by jrjr5000:
cvhyatt (06-11-2020), JUKE179r (06-10-2020), Sixpack577 (06-10-2020), SundayFunday (07-05-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Get the sunroofs fixed/sealed asap or you will have mold growing that will ruin your life!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

Nice!

Quick Reply: Sitting for 7 years...