Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight rough idle...where I do I look next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same slight rough idle here. The fiancé doesn't notice is at all when I ask and I cannot find any reason for it. Guess we chalk it up to the Rover gods trying to keep us on our toes.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the suggestion guys...I'll try out everyone's suggestions and see if I can lessen some of the vibes...

Glad I'm not the odd one out...makes me feel slightly better.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

After double checking the toque on my spark plugs and adding some dielectric grease to the insides of the boots yesterday my check engine light came on and it now has a slightly rougher idle. I'm throwing the Bosch platinum +4 plugs in the trash and putting OEM non-plat plugs in it at lunch and hoping for the best. STI wires and OEM plugs is what I ran in my last D2 and it idled great.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know if the change helps. I'm running Bosch plugs as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Weird - mine just started this as well! It's driving me crazy, just knowing that SOMETHING has recently changed in that engine to cause the problem to start. Even if it's nothing serious and is (probably) harmless, it's bugging me to death.

I had a lot of time to think about it sitting in traffic for HOURS in that snowstorm 2 days ago.

Ran some highly concentrated gumout fuel injector/valve cleaner in there (ie. 5 gal 93 octane to the cleaner) - ran that down, then put fresh gas in there and it's still doing it.

Haven't changed plugs since I got it, so I should start there. Then again the transmission fluid looked brand new when I replaced that after the previous owner (and it's got new wires already) so they should have been replaced.

Gotta check the IACV too.

Actually, check your vacuum lines too, specifically the ones associated with the IACV - those caused a nasty rough idle on a friends expedition till the leak was so loud I could track it by the sucking sound hah. Good as new with a new hose.

Considering how my coolant hardlines just disintegrated the other day when I put a small amount of force on them, the condition of my vac lines cant be much better (I know my cruise vac line is leaking cause I keep cutting off the cracked part and sticking it on the barb again and again haha)

Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My idle didn't change but it seems to run smoother with the new plugs. I'm going to check for vac. leaks and clean my ICV at lunch and see what happens.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:34 PM
4wd Low

Where are the PCV hoses located? Also if I were to do the seafoam treatment where exactly is the correct intake hose to spray the stuff in??

Old 09-12-2023, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

12 year old thread. Don't waste your money on the Seafoam, PCV hose is passenger side front of intake, 1/2 hose.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:27 AM
4wd Low

So are there multiple PCV hoses? I’m seeing the one described on the passenger side atop manifold. Is there another?

Old 09-14-2023, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtrawick5
So are there multiple PCV hoses? I’m seeing the one described on the passenger side atop manifold. Is there another?
nope. just the one. like Extinct said.

Quick Reply: Slight rough idle...where I do I look next?