Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloshing sound after bleeds and hwy drive...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Sloshing sound after bleeds and hwy drive...

so in the past couple of weeks I upgraded to the 180 T/stat, 2 days after which I had a return hose spring a leak. those fixed, I've been bleeding the coolant per the 'discomike method' and get small bubbles and the occasional burp of air when burping. did that for 2 or 3 days now and then took it for a 30 min. hwy cruise today, at mostly about 70 mph. once finished with the cruise and on the off-ramp, the sloshing was still there, completely unaffected by the highway run. the noise in the cabin sounds as if the fluid is having a hard time moving through the heater core, but it does move and Ultragauge temp readings are 186-188 at speed w/ no a/c; 190-196 at speed w/ a/c; 194-206 stop and go w/ a/c on. keep burping? do a heater core flush/backflush? other suggestions?...

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would just let her sit for day and then go ahead and re bleed, sound alike you still had air trapped in the core. Now that you have driven it it should work pretty. well But make sure the truck is stone cold. Hold/hang the overfill and let the coolant flo for a good 2-5 sec. take the whole bleed screw out. Then refill and give it a try. I have one that must have taken me close to 3 weeks to finally get it all bleed. But I do not drive everyday.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same sloshing noise, bleed according to the raise the tank high. Still had sloshing. So every morning with a dead cold engine, I would just take the bleed screw off and pour in a couple of ounces of fluid to full. took about 3 days but sloshing finally stopped. Of course I over-tightend the plastic bleed screw but the local BMW dealer had tons of them and only $3 each. They didn't claim to know anything about a brass bleed screw. Seems to be some discussion on whether you should use the brass screw as the plastic screw offers overpressure relief.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

thanks guys, sounds like keep bleeding...

Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the method I use to elevate the coolant reservoir. I also put the passenger front tire up on a ramp. After doing the basic bleed technique, I will leave it like this overnight after a modest 20-30 running it on the highway to run some errands,etc for 2 or 3 days in a row. Seems to work all the air out between the small road trip and the elevated nightly routine. May be a little overkill, but I like it when I can actually fix things on my Rover without busting my knuckles, and all I do is drive it and let it sit while I sleep

Name:  IMAG0360.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  62.5 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0360.jpg (62.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would try jacking up the front of the car and also raising the coolant tank like the picture above. When I bleed, I completely remove the bleed screw after coolant starts to leak out. Then I continue to fill the tank and let a lot coolant come out before putting the bleed screw back in. When you are ready to put the bleed screw back in, have someone else do it while you continue to poor coolant in (Try to never stop pouring coolant until the bleed screw is tight).

Then snap the tank back, put the coolant cap on, and start the car. Put the heater on full blast (full heat, full fan) and let car warm up until the thermostat opens and closes a few times.

Take the jack stands out and take is for a spin at highway speeds with the heater still full blast.