General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sloshing noise after cooling system flush...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloshing noise after cooling system flush...

2001 Land Rover Disco II. After having an oil change and cooling system flush at Jiffy Lube (what was I thinking!!!), I noticed a sloshing noise coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle upon acceleration, turns and braking. Sounds kind of like taking a half filled gallon jug of water and slowly turning it from side to side. Just guessing here, but could it be in the heater core?

My LR had never left any oil marks when parked, previous to the oil change at Jiffy Lube. When she started spotting after the oil change, I got under her and found the morons hadn't properly reset the bleedscrew. Once I had reset the screw and cleaned residual oil from around the area, no more spotting.

Since the sound of water sloshing started right after the cooling system flush, could the same morons have over pressurized the system leading to some kind of damage to the heater core. I observed them having an animated conversation around my vehicle after the flush, but when I asked if there was a problem, I was told, "not at all". The heater itself works fine.

So I need to know what you guys think the sloshing might be caused by and how I can take care of it. I surely would appreciate comments and advise.
Janet

Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When cold, where is your coolant level, probably needs to be bled. I would call the manager of that store and let them know what you found and that you want to have a mechanic check and fix the problem while Jiffy Lube picks up the bill.
Make sure he realizes that is done wrong the engine can over heat and or be damaged by improper flush and bleed practices.

If you don't want to do that, send me your number and I can walk you thru what to do.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
4wd Low

Mike: I did go back to Jiffy Lube and the manager's reply was basically "prove it". It's been several months since the oil change and flush. I had to add a quart of oil yesterday and a gallon of antifreeze/water to the expansion tank. After I added the fluid to the expansion tank and replaced the cap, I reved the engine a few times and looked at the expansion tank to check the level and saw bubbles coming up from the bottom of the tank. I took a little drive and rechecked the tank, to find it at proper level. I still heard the sloshing noise during my drive however, so if the level is proper in the expansion tank, is it possible for it to be at an improper level in the heater core?

I subscribe to AllData.com and can print out diagrams of any of the vehicles systems. I took a look at the cooling system and it looks do-able if that's what has to be done.
Thanks for your response. Janet

Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

download the RAVE manual so you can get a better understanding of your truck at www.landroverresource.com

yes you need to bleed the system it wasn't bled properly when the coolant was changed.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 AM
4wd Low
Default Wow...........

I've been looking for something like this....Thanks so much for letting me know where to get it.....Awesome!!!
Janet