Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow coolant leak can’t find

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshawa_D2
do you mean that there is fluid possibly leaking from the cap?
If the cap is not functioning correctly, fluid can push past it and out of the overflow pipe.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I see what appears to be white/pinkish looking deposits on the valve cover directly under the TBH plate = sign when it's leaking and then boiling/evaporating (hence why I hate them!!!!). I also see pink/reddish goo on the left hose on the TBH. If you want to find actual leaks quickly and easily without it burning off or not being able to probe due to the engine running pressurize the system to 20PSI watch the gauge and the look all over the place to leaks and then look on the ground for any fresh coolant. Without doing that you're honestly chasing your tail.
ok I see where you mean
so how can I do this pressure test. What equipment do I need to buy and is there a thread on it that someone like me with limited mechanical experience can follow

Old 05-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
If the cap is not functioning correctly, fluid can push past it and out of the overflow pipe.
I am under the impression the only purpose DeKalb provides is to close the Reservoir and avoid spillage. Can you explain what you mean when you say if the cap does not function properly

Old 05-06-2021, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The reservoir cap = radiator cap, it is meant to hold 16PSI if I'm not mistaken. It has a little valve inside of the cap and it will release excess pressure if it exceeds the rated amount the cap can handle. If it's faulty it can release pressure/fluid when it's not supposed to.

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:17 PM
Mudding

I am under the impression the only purpose DeKalb provides is to close the Reservoir and avoid spillage. Can you explain what you mean when you say if the cap does not function properly
OK I will change the radiator cap I found this cap on Amazon is this OK

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Your 4th picture down shows your throttle heater plate, it has the two small hoses below the throttle. As Best4X4 stated, your plate is leaking. This is very common.
The replacement part is around $30, but you will need the part and gasket, and throttle gasket. It takes about an hour for a new person to replace the part and gaskets, if you have the tools.
Unless you live where it gets really cold, you do not need the heater plate and many people simply plug the lines.
The newer plates are prone to leaking again relatively soon, so it can be a constant problem.
​​​

Old 05-13-2021, 12:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Xanthro
Your 4th picture down shows your throttle heater plate, it has the two small hoses below the throttle. As Best4X4 stated, your plate is leaking. This is very common.
The replacement part is around $30, but you will need the part and gasket, and throttle gasket. It takes about an hour for a new person to replace the part and gaskets, if you have the tools.
Unless you live where it gets really cold, you do not need the heater plate and many people simply plug the lines.
The newer plates are prone to leaking again relatively soon, so it can be a constant problem.
​​​
I live in Canada so it does get cold in the winters, so probably a good idea for me to change it. Is there instructions anywhere on how this is replaced and what parts I need to order? Unless I need a specialty tool I do have more socket and wrenches.

I actually just found a video on YouTube on how to replace it so I will check it out

Last edited by Oshawa_D2; 05-13-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:07 PM
Mudding

There is a silicone gasket that is supposed to be leak proof available. Have you or has anyone tried it? And is it worth it to get?

Old 05-13-2021, 01:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

I got this:
https://www.sportscarcentre.ca/MGM000010K

Much better than stock and not a drop out of it, only had it in for less than a year though. Just make sure you get all of the old gasket off abs make sure the surface is clean and flat.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

OK I will change the radiator cap I found this cap on Amazon is this OK

https://www.amazon.ca/Radiator-ROVER...0357287&sr=8-1
Go to the actual LR dealer and get a new OEM cap. Brand new OEM LR caps are $22. I replaced about four of those cheap $7 caps before finally going to the dealer prepared to pay whatever they would charge for an OEM one. I was shocked and stoked it was so cheap there. Bought one for each Disco. Problem I was having on the 2004 with collapsing hoses when cold went away, finally, with the OEM cap.

When comparing the two side by side, there's a substantial build quality difference.

Quick Reply: Slow coolant leak can’t find