Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow to go in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok changed filter and fluid, I guess time will tell. The filter did not look terribly dirty or anything, it certainly wasn't new though, so I guess we'll see.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep us posted man.
And kudo's for asking questions first.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The trans will not throw codes.
Just because you changed the fluid and it looks nice and clean does not mean the filter is not clogged.
You can change the filter yourself in your driveway, that is where I would start, its cheap and if it does not help then you are only out $50 and time.
Actually the tranny on a D2 will throw codes from 700 to 800 and be very specific.

If the fluid is red and full and neither diff. has failed, the tranny is gone, most likely hard hard fault break.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Mudding

Well I will start sourcing a new tranny then, but man other then the two times this has happened everything works perfectly. I hope you are wrong Mike, but I will prepare just in case.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Mudding

Actually just thought of something, what better way to increase my knowledge of Land Rovers then to rebuild the transmission myself, never done it, found a kit and a manual online, I am actually a little excited about the prospect of my transmission blowing up now. My wife hates it when I say this, but, How hard could it be? Looks like I will be biking to work for a week or two if Mike is right.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Mudding

Well it did it again this morning. It occurs to me that I might be causing this to happen. The first two times it did this, I was in a hurry to move my Disco out of the way, this morning I was in a hurry too because I was trying to simulate the circumstances from yesterday. What I am doing is this: I start the truck and immediately put it in reverse to back out of my driveway. Perhaps I am making this happen. 99% of the time I am not in a hurry and I have no problem. I will test my theory tomorrow morning.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many total quarts of fluid did you install, did you fill it the second time while the engine was running?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by timdunbar
Well it did it again this morning. It occurs to me that I might be causing this to happen. The first two times it did this, I was in a hurry to move my Disco out of the way, this morning I was in a hurry too because I was trying to simulate the circumstances from yesterday. What I am doing is this: I start the truck and immediately put it in reverse to back out of my driveway. Perhaps I am making this happen. 99% of the time I am not in a hurry and I have no problem. I will test my theory tomorrow morning.

I had been secretly wondering this all along. Mine does the same thing if I put i in reverse within a second of the engine start. There have only been a few times I've done this, when I've been in a big hurry; I start the engine, almost immediately put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and then it seems for a second or two, the vehicle doesn't have as much pulling power in reverse. It moves backward, but just not very fast, until a few more seconds elapse, then all is normal.

When I start the engine, and allow it to idle for 20 or so seconds before I put it in reverse, it never has a problem. My theory is that it might take more than a couple of seconds for the transmission to build the correct pressures from a cold start after sitting overnight.

It's not very good on the engine either, putting it in gear immediately. I know this, but sometimes I am in a really big hurry, and almost every time I have done this, I have experienced what you described.

I now start the engine immediately, then get adjusted in my seat, fasten my seat belt, put my coffee in the upholder, wait a few more seconds, then finally put it in reverse.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Mudding

I put 5 quarts in Mike, and it took my three times of going through the gears for it to take all 5, but I got a steady stream out after the third time with just the rest of the 5th quart.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I had been secretly wondering this all along. Mine does the same thing if I put i in reverse within a second of the engine start. There have only been a few times I've done this, when I've been in a big hurry; I start the engine, almost immediately put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and then it seems for a second or two, the vehicle doesn't have as much pulling power in reverse. It moves backward, but just not very fast, until a few more seconds elapse, then all is normal.

When I start the engine, and allow it to idle for 20 or so seconds before I put it in reverse, it never has a problem. My theory is that it might take more than a couple of seconds for the transmission to build the correct pressures from a cold start after sitting overnight.

It's not very good on the engine either, putting it in gear immediately. I know this, but sometimes I am in a really big hurry, and almost every time I have done this, I have experienced what you described.

I now start the engine immediately, then get adjusted in my seat, fasten my seat belt, put my coffee in the upholder, wait a few more seconds, then finally put it in reverse.
That is exactly what I have going on man, to the "t". If I wait a few seconds everything works as normal, if I'm in a hurry it is slow to go into reverse, it pulls but not with as much power and then everything works normally.

Quick Reply: Slow to go in reverse.