Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS air bag exploded

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SLS air bag exploded

So I bought the D2 back in January and first thing I had to replace was air bags because of a leak. All has been good. Today I am driving back home and hear a pop loud enough and felt it that I thought it was a tire that blew out. Pulled over and checked it out and nothing I could see wrong. Air bags were still up and no tire issues. Took it as maybe i just hit something. So got in the car just a bit ago to head to the store and maybe 5 seconds after starting the car.....Boom. Rear of car immediately starts to drop and I can hear air leaking. I get out and sure enough driver side rear is slammed. I get underneath and the bag has literally exploded. They are under warranty and called but cant get an RMA number until Monday. In the meantime I am questioning if just the bag or another issue because of the previous pop I heard today. Compressor is still working best I can tell as I can hear it on and pulsating air.

I dont think height sensor is bad as I would have felt it raise the vehicle and it never did. Was thinking maybe it got to much air and popped but I dont think so once I think about it. No dash lights either. Last thing that has me confused is passenger side while not slammed is lower than normal. Maybe I am overthinking and its just because it supporting more weight right now?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I would say your tire thew something up and cut it. The bags normally fail because the lower clamp rusts over time and fails. You my be able to see that debris cut it when you remove it. I have a 2003 HSE and mine have been good for 10 years. Although I do have a spare in the garage for the day I have problems.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The other bag will sit lower but does not mean it is bad.
I would suggest that you not drive the truck, you can burn up the pump and possibly ruin the other bag.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If you hit something and made a cut in the bag, maybe covered by insurance like a road hazard. One guy told his agent he hit a road alligator (semi tire tread) and it took out his front drive shaft and tranny....

Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If you hit something and made a cut in the bag, maybe covered by insurance like a road hazard. One guy told his agent he hit a road alligator (semi tire tread) and it took out his front drive shaft and tranny....
The next time I see a big chunk of shed tread I'll have to stop and pick it up in case I ever need it.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Also, if the bag shows indications of being hit, the manufacture won't replace it under warranty and you most likely have a ded. on your insurance policy so this will be an out of pocket expense.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

After watching that video - no wonder air bags can kill babies.
I don't regard them as too safe for humans.
I suppose the explosion is very controlled.

But look what two "loose" airbags can do.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air bag pop...

Yea, I had the POP too. Was the top of the airbag plastic ring that cracked, then the bag slanted sideways later in the day and popped. 130mi north of home at camp site with boat in tow....Left boat and drove it home on the bump stops...3 time bags went out it 9yrs.....Went to old man emu 2in lift medium coils front and rear....never cringe when I see a bump on the road now....Handles much better especially when towing.....

Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went ahead an ordered just one replacement since the pair was only 4 or 5 months old and maybe 2k miles. Figured if warranty doesn't cover it I am out the money but at least its on the road quicker (even though I dont drive it much) or if warranty does cover I will have a spare in case issues in the future. Hopefully I get more life out of one this time. Converting to coils hasn't really crossed my mind until now but would prefer to keep the SLS unless it becomes the problem spot for me

Quick Reply: SLS air bag exploded