Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS Air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012 | 03:38 AM
|
4wd High
Angry SLS Air suspension problem

Can some please advise me on my SLS problem?
I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery; three years ago I had both air bags replaced.
For the past six month when I turn off my engine, I have been experiencing my offside rear dropping down to the bumstops,
This only happens within five to ten minutes after I have turned off the engine and never at any other time. I can restart my engine and the suspension re inflates to a normal level.
This problem only occurs about once a week or once a fortnight.
Due to this problem been intermittent my Land Rover garage are unable to find out the cause.
Has any one else experienced this problem or explain what the fault is?

Another strange thing has just happened; my wife was driving over some speed bumps at a low speed. When the drivers rear suspension went down.
She stopped the car, got out to have a look and heard air escaping from around the wheel area.
She got back in to the car, started up the engine and the suspension re inflated as normal and she drove home. The discovery remained on the driveway for some days and suspension remained at its normal height.
Do you think it’s the bag or sensor?

Last edited by Allan John; 07-08-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Update on problem
Old 07-07-2012 | 05:04 PM
Winching

Mine does the same thing except it's like once a month. I always figured it was a sticking solenoid.

Old 07-07-2012 | 05:45 PM
Administrator

Have you ever been with the truck when it drops, if so, was the air coming from the air bag area or from under the driver seat area?

Old 07-08-2012 | 01:52 PM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Have you ever been with the truck when it drops, if so, was the air coming from the air bag area or from under the driver seat area?

Mike.
Another strange thing has just happened; my wife was driving over some speed bumps at a low speed. When the drivers rear suspension went down.
She stopped the car, got out to have a look and heard air escaping from around the wheel area.
She got back in to the car, started up the engine and the suspension re inflated as normal and she drove home. The discovery remained on the driveway for some days and suspension remained at its normal height.
Do you think it’s the bag or sensor?
Allan

Old 07-08-2012 | 03:04 PM
Administrator

Air leak from the rear axle area is a bag or air tube leak, most likely bag. How many miles on it? If it is the bags, they are easy to replace.

Old 07-09-2012 | 05:49 AM
|
4wd High

Air leak from the rear axle area is a bag or air tube leak, most likely bag. How many miles on it? If it is the bags, they are easy to replace.
Mike.
The more I look in to my problem, the more I get fed up with Land Rover and their SLS.
As stated before, my Land Rover garage replaced both bags three years ago, I only drive over farm land/fields so can not understand why the Disco can not withstand this kind of driving, I have had Land Rovers for many years and always thought the disco was made for this kind of work, so why do the bags keep failing?
Allan

Old 07-09-2012 | 07:30 AM
Administrator

If the dealer had installed some good bags, not factory one, you probably wouldn't have this problem.
Arnott bags are the best way to go, along with their lifetime warranty.
Believe me when I say you will not be happy if you switch to coils, it will be a lot harder ride then the SLS has given you.

Old 07-10-2012 | 06:34 AM
Winching

Yeah, I wouldn't get rid of the SLS. Mine has had it's ups and downs(lol) but it has been a good overall system. I just had to put a new compressor in it but the old one was 12 years old and water had done it in. I'd say 12 years is a good run on a little compressor.

You'll hate the springs after riding with bags. Much nicer ride.

Old 07-10-2012 | 07:34 AM
|
4wd High

If the dealer had installed some good bags, not factory one, you probably wouldn't have this problem.
Arnott bags are the best way to go, along with their lifetime warranty.
Believe me when I say you will not be happy if you switch to coils, it will be a lot harder ride then the SLS has given you.

Mike.
Thanks for the info.
First I will contact my dealer and ask if they will check the bags and if required, replace with Arnott bags.
My only concern is that here in the UK the dealer will only fit land rover parts.
If this is the case I may look at another garage and get the Arnott bags fitted.
Secondly I do not intend the fit springs, because one, you have to inform the insurance company and that may add to the cost of my insurance as the springs are not standard for my disco, so the Disco will be classed as been modified. Secondly as you have stated the ride will be different and if the system works as it should (when I have good quality bags fitted) the ride should be great again.
Will keep you informed of the out come and what my Land Rover garage have to say.
Many thanks for all the help you have given me on this subject.
Allan

Old 07-10-2012 | 07:42 AM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Yeah, I wouldn't get rid of the SLS. Mine has had it's ups and downs(lol) but it has been a good overall system. I just had to put a new compressor in it but the old one was 12 years old and water had done it in. I'd say 12 years is a good run on a little compressor.

You'll hate the springs after riding with bags. Much nicer ride.
Thanks for your feed back.
I just felt that new bags should last more then three years. I have a Land Rover not a mini, so feel I should be able to use it off road without it breaking or blowing bags all the time.
As I have said to Mike, I will try and look in to having Arnott bags fitted and give you all some feed back.
I just hope that the bags are the problem

Quick Reply: SLS Air suspension problem