Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS Air Suspension Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default SLS Air Suspension Service

I am about to install new SLS air suspension springs to the rear axle of my D2. Whilst doing it I was also intending cleaning and servicing the SLS air spring compressor unit and the air intake filters buried behind the rear light. Has anyone done this before and are there any tips in doing this work? Any tips would be helpful.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sign me up for any tips.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I worked on the SLS compressor today amongst other jobs. I didn't strip it as it was working fine and also very clean for 11 years old. It's located outside the driver side chassis rail just below the B post. It has a plastic container with a lid held on by two Zeus fasteners. TIP: spray these fasteners with penetrating oil an hour or two before you want to undo them although one was still clean the other was rusty and seized. I cleaned the compressor with a rag and used an airline to clean the box out, cleaned the lid inside and out, operated the offroad button and checked all was working well then sprayed the compressor with WD40 and put the lid on adding some spray grease to the Zeus fasteners. Then I removed the drivers side rear light unit (D2A) just 4 short screws, behind it is the air intake filter for the SLS which resembles a black cylinder 2.5" long and 2" diameter, lift this off vertically and it reveals a foam filter, lift this out carefully and below is a multi layered fibre filter. Remove that carefully ensuring no dirt or dust enters the filter cup. Blow these out the REVERSE direction with an airline reinsert them - job done. I cleaned the whole area behind the light first with a soft brush and an airline to remove any cobwebs and dust that had accumulated. Then just clean the light fitting and reinstall. Both jobs takes an hour or so to do properly. I also cleaned off the top of the air springs with an airline whilst in the offroad position and sprayed the shock absorber anchor bolts, the air spring clips with penetrating oil. I also brushed off the level sensors and operating arms and also sprayed those with WD40. Now it's all set up to install the air springs which should be easy...............famous last words. As a guide, the original air line feed to the air spring has a 10mm gland fitting whereas the Dunlop replacement has a 'push in' collet fitting. You have to unscrew the 10mm original fitting, push back the gland nut and cut the pipe square with a sharp craft knife as close to the old olive as possible. Clean this pipe first and ensure no dust, dirt or grease enters the pipe or collet fitting. I'll post how I get on after it's completed.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 03-10-2014 at 12:21 PM.