Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS to Coil Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Leave the height sensors alone, they won't hurt any thing or just remove them.
Hmmm, so leave them or remove them? I've left them, but I can't get the warning buzzer to stop. I removed the fuse and relay under the hood, but when I did all the lights came on in the dash for ABS, TC, SLS, and another. I put the relay back in and left the fuse out and just the SLS light is on, along with the annoying warning buzzer. I have a 99 D2 with ACE and the SLS which obviously is now gone and converted to coils. I'm wondering if I need to remove the height sensors to get the warning buzzer to stop? It seems like there's been lots of success with just removing the fuse and relay, but it's not working for me. Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:07 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the height sensors and never got a buzzer warning but my rover never did have ACE.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where'd the pics go?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree...Where are the pictures?

I have an '04 Disco II HSE. Does all this apply to my SLS? Forgive my newbie-ness. There is a lot to dig up on this in RAVE and I'm still wading through.

My SLS will sometimes sit down overnight, but pump right up when I start up in the morning. Don't know what I'm looking for with this "slight" problem just yet.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, but I think you can just disconnect the orange plug under the coolant reservoir (which I just found out is for SLS) instead of messing with the fuse box.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
Hello Again,

I made a quick write-up on switching from SLS to Coils.

1. Ensure vehicle is in park and that the park brake up. Raise whichever side of the axle you wish by using the radius arm as the jack point.

2. Use the jack stand to rest chassis at the location shown.

3. Disconnect the speed sensor cable or if you have had the recall done meaning you have your wire connected to the SLABS ECU, you can just crawl underneath the rig and make the cable longer by giving it more slack cutting off the zip ties that secure it.

4. Remove brake caliper using a 12mm wrench and collect two brake pads. Careful where you rest the caliper. My jack was tall enough to let the caliper rest on the jack without putting stress on the brake line.

Now it should look like this

5. Using a 13mm wrench, remove the bump stop.

6. Position a 4 ton bottle jack or your standard LR vehicle jack between the chassis and axle. This will allow you to gain the required clearance needed to insert the spring without needing a spring compressor.

7. Now get ready to remove the airbag. Locate the two retaining clips on the top.

Left retaining clip

Right retaining clip

Remove the retaining clips.

8. Now to remove the air line you have two options. One is to remove the line before removing the bag, or option two, do it after you remove the bag. I think doing it after is easier but I did it before. I'll show you what I'm talking about in the next few steps. Third option is to cut the line so it depends what you want to do.

So using a small wrench loosen the nut. Then if you have small fingers continue removing the nut and disconnect.

Nothing happened when the line was removed. I was expecting pressured air from the line or bag to escape.

9. Pull the bag down and out of the top perch.

10. Turn the bag 90 degrees clockwise and pull out from the lower axle seat.

11. Remove height sensor.

12. Locate the two holes for the spring seat retaining bolts.

Grab your 10mm x 1.50 Tap

13. Run the 10mm X 1.50 tap through these holes to ease installation of retaining bolts. I didn't have the tap handle so I used a 1/4, 12 pt socket and my 3/8 drive.
When you say remove the height sensors, do you mean simply unclipping them at the mechanical joint at the back, remove them at the SLABS ECU (I presume C0654 connector pins), or both?

The reason that I am saying, is that my 2001 D2 had a coil conversion by its previous owner. By what variation I do not know. Everything was fine, but after 4 years, the air compressor started to click which was draining the battery, even though the air tubes were gone. The compressor and associated wiring is now gone. That being said, I am getting alarms that are based from the height sensors. Anything higher than a slow speed, the buzzer goes off. Same with going over bumps, cornering, etc.

Do you see any plausible solution? Thanking you in advance.

Happy trails from Vancouver Island