Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS going into "unload" while driving, no SLS light, Are there any codes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLS going into "unload" while driving, no SLS light, Are there any codes?

One of the reasons I bought the Disco (2004, HSE) was for the SLS as I read it was good for towing and a smooth ride. It being 4 months old (to me) now and only 84Kmi, I've been working through DiscoMike's service list. But, this SLS problem may make The Punisher (now its official name) undriveable until I find the problem.

My first question here is, without an SLS light on the dash will there be any codes to be read in the SLABS ECU? No dealer in town. Just an indy with a new Rover trained mech and I haven't met them yet (mech's only been here for a few month's at the indy shop).

Any words of wisdom from dedicated SLS owners on diagnosis? I'm pretty good at DIY on both mech and elec, but tell me before I go squishing my fingers, etc, trying something, if you please.

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Carl, PM me your number and I'll walk you thru what to check and do.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on this puppy

Talked to Disco Mike...Thanks loads, Mike!

Found a local indy shop that had a computer to read the SLABS. No light on the dash, but Mike advised there sounded to be an electrical problem.

So, the indy shop said NO SLS codes, just a pending ABS code indicating intermittent speed sensor readings. That didn't help any!

Locked my Disco up overnight in the shop. Must not have liked the AC, because they said it sat down overnight. Never done that to me before. They put it up on the lift, squirted some leak detector on the bags and the LH side bubbled. OK, that's an obvious indicator.

They said,"We will be glad to change those out for you and can have it done day after tomorrow! We only use these great bags from a place called Arnott's, not the LR's...lifetime warranty, too. It will only be $1200 and that will include the parts!".

Well, if I hadn't been on this forum I might have thought that was a generous offer. Have already done the plugs and wires without taking off the manifold and I figured it couldn't be much harder than a set of shocks or springs.

So, I talked to Disco Mike again and, with his encouragement and advice, that was last weekends project. And, hey!, I got Arnott's bags, too.

I will get the photo's ready and add the step-by-step to this post. Might not matter to most, but for those of us that got the SLS on purpose, I hope it will help you to keep it and maintain it.

I saved enough by doing it myself to be able to afford a SLABS computer! Now all I have to do is decide on the one to buy...Hawkeye, Nanocom Evo or other?

Thanks again to Disco Mike and watch for the How-to pictures and details.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re pending ABS code indicating intermittent speed sensor readings

There is no speed sensor on a D2, the wheel sensors are "averaged" by the SLABS to produce that value. On a D1 there is a VSS on the transfer case.

Perhaps a wheel sensor needs to be reseated.