Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slugg

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slugg

Iresently found out from some guy, that my disco has some slugg in the engine. how can i fix that and what is slugg

Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: slugg

I think he meant "sludge".....as slugs are creepy little animals. Sludge accumulates from poor maintenance (loonggg intervals between oil changes) and using a crap product with a high paraffin content like Quaker State or Pennzoil (which happens to be the cheapest bulk product that the oil change places put in peoples cars!

Ask for a quality oil-- and the upcharge is significant --- but remember the term "pay me know or pay me later"?

Anyway.....you have to do a flushing operation. First ---- buy a can of Gunk engine flush----pour it in the engine and let it idle for about a hour. Then drain the oil and put on a new oil filter and fill the engine with5.5 quarts of a good quality oil (like Valvoline) and 1 quart of a product called Rislone (available at most auto part stores).

Drive it for ONE MONTH and then drain and re-fill the engine again ---still using one quart of Rislone to the 5.5 quarts of a good quality petroleum oil.

regards,

geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Man, you are repeating myths from the 70's here. Pennzoil or QS does not cause sludge or wax buildup. that's total BS. There is absolutely no proof. Check out www.Bobistheoilguy.com forums for anything and everything you ever wanted to know about oil.Especially the UOA section and see how well QS and Pennzoil perform.Sludge is by product of engine design (Toyota V-6, VW Passat are 2) and improper oil change intervals and using the wrong oils.

I wouln't use Gunk either or any solvent based quick flush. A chunk may break off and clog your oil pump or passageways. You need something that is gentle and works over a long period. Try Auto-Rx.com It was reccomended on BITOG.com and I've used it on 3 different vehicles with great results. Check out the study on a 200SX and the before and after pics of the enging after the treatment regimine here http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/pov.htm I used it to stop some seal leaks in my wifes old Outback. I'm using it in my disco now and have stopped the oil leakage completely in one treatment. And the filter was absolutely nasty. here is a pic after I opened it. check all the grit and sludgey residue. Not sure about you, but I want to use something that will not cause damage and possibly cost me $5k for a new engine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...7_01180015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...7_01160011.jpg

John

Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

From people with alot of history with Rovers, their experience will tell you that Rover engines run very rich and will build up slidge, lacquer and or Carbon all of which is harmful to the engine.
Do as was mentioned eariler and flush the engine, me, I use 6 qts. of ATF in place of the engine oil and let it idle for 20 or 30 minutes works well and only needs to be done once, followed up by regular 3000 mile oil changes.
Mike

Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Three Wheeling

whats ATF, and where can I get it? Just bought my truck and not sure about the maintaince that was done to it prior....

Old 01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Three Wheeling

automatic transmission fluid

Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Three Wheeling

So take the oil out of it currently and in its place put ATF in there.....Idle for 20-30 minutes and then take the ATF out and put some oil in it?

Do you guys use synthetic oil or regular oil??

Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I know people on here do it, but I wouldn't on an engine that will cost $5,000 to replace.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Three Wheeling

ya that would break me[:@]

Old 01-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBRIII

I know people on here do it, but I wouldn't on an engine that will cost $5,000 to replace.
Dealers do engine flushes all the time and before flushing machines and special additives came out this was the method of choice. When done correctly, it can improve the engines performance and extend it's usefull life for many miles.
Mike