Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog check threw codes, hoping to know what I need to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smog check threw codes, hoping to know what I need to do

P0441 = EVAP Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P1590 = Unknown trouble code

I think that the 0441 code was the one that came on earlier, and I was told to buy a new gas cap to fix it. I bought a new cap, but the code hasn't gone away.

Anyone know what these two codes can mean?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

focus on 0441. could be a leak. cuban cigar and smoke test
1590 generic brake code. 3 amigo code

Last edited by dusty1; 01-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1590 is an ABS hard fault. Do you have the 3 amigos?

As for the 0441. Join the club. I have been chasing this code since I bought my disco 2 years ago. It doesn't effect the engine or anything, but after fixing every other little thing on this truck with success, I feel like this code is almost taunting me now to try and fix it.
I have replaced the purge valve and gas cap with no luck. I did a smoke test on the EVAP system and found no leaks. I checked all of the EVAP lines for a blockage and everything was clean and clear.

I am on a mission to find the source of this code. I think I have narrowed the possible problem to a bad EVAP loss detection pump. I am going to buy a used one off ebay tonight and see if it fixes the problem. I'll keep you posted.

One thing I have also thought about was the fact that I bought the cheaper (Hyundai) purge valve when I replaced mine. I always wondered if the Hyundai one was different in some way from the Land Rover one even though they look identical. If the loss detection pump doesn't fix the problem then I will replace the purge valve with a factory replacement.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Mudding

@Dusty1 I currently show this

Every time I have the three amigos, they are really 4 amigos (the descent assist light comes on too).
I don't like the sound of the smoke test. I wonder if a local shop and spot the issue. I live near a dealership, but I am not sure what they might charge to inspect it for me.
I have driven it like this for several months, but now I can't renew registration without fixing these issues because the error codes cause it to fail smog test. Any additional guidance on what could be causing this would be appreciated.

Last edited by Joshman; 01-09-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Trying to make a picture from Flickr work
Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Mudding

Dealership wants $160 an hour to diagnose the Evap failure. Looking for other options.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Did you reset the code or are you just hoping it will clear itself? Most codes take miles and/or hours of driving to reset themselves and wont go away immediately.

Do yourself a favor if you dont have one already and buy yourself an ultragauge. With that you can view/reset codes and see other live engine data. Trust me, this thing is almost a necessity for these trucks because overheating once can kill an engine (talking from experience here, JUST found out I have a slipped sleeve/cracked block most likely due to overheating)

Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Smoke test is really a simple procedure, you don't have to inhale. Could help find issue.
4 amigos really need codes pulled to assess situation, back burner for now. Might find a nearby helping hand to pull codes for you.

Last edited by dusty1; 01-09-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Mudding

my brother in law runs a smog shop, which is how I got the codes in the first place. They have an OBDII tester there. What else should I look for with the tester results?
Is there a write up on how to do the smoke test?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling

You wont be able to get the ABS codes read without a special (and expensive) computer that works specifically with the LR ABS computer. A smoke test is a pretty subjective thing....get something that smokes and see where air moves pretty much ... or do this (funny enough it was posted by Jared9220 a yearish ago, also weird saying that username since that's my name too!)

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-cigar-54235/

Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Subjective.... Yes. But he probably has a leak. Might be an easy start. And that is really cool, that your family incorporated #s in the name.

Quick Reply: Smog check threw codes, hoping to know what I need to do