Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog check threw codes, hoping to know what I need to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dusty1
Subjective.... Yes. But he probably has a leak. Might be an easy start. And that is really cool, that your family incorporated #s in the name.
Har Har. We got a comedian here

Ya I agree he probably has a leak smoke test will definitely help.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Btw dusty1 is my name so I get it. Parents planned on having a couple more.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Mudding

Okay, new developments.
After the second fill up with the new gas cap, the evap failure turned off. So I am thinking that it just took a while to cycle. Crossing that one off.
My co-worker brought his Inova Scan Tool OBD2 for me to use. The 1590 code is still active, and it says the following on the screen:
P1590 Land_Rover
Rough road signal
implausibleDrive
cycle A:Signal
implausible

If anyone has an idea of that that means, I am all ears. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Rock Crawling

That's the generic 3 amigos code. I assume you have them? (ABS, TC, HDC lights on) That code usually doesn't show a light until something else is wrong. clear all codes and you should be SES free if the gas cap fixed your evap issue.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Mudding

The lights showing are "BRAKE" "ABS" "TC" and the descent assist "picture of a rover descending with an exclamation point after it"
Is that a wheel sensor failure? If it is a wheel sensor failure, will a test with a test book or rovacom tell me which wheel sensor is failing?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Rock Crawling

You'll need to find someone with a special computer to read those codes and/or rent an amigo scanner yourself. With the codes from the special computer you can post them here and people can help you figure out what is broken.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P0441. Change the evap purge valve. Get on amazon. Look for Forman 911-800. Runs you $20. Or $40 at napa.
Just did mine for the second time in two years. A properly working purge valve will tick at a fast pace. If you don't hears yours ticking, time to replace.
I smoke testing last weekend and didn't find anything. For the hell of it I replaced the purge again, and all is good again.
I had been driving this way for a year, but now my inspection is out so I had to spend time on it. I had ruled out the purge valve because it had recently been replaced, turns out it needed to be done again.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Mudding

Service Engine light went back on, so i assume that the evap thing is still lingering. Have no time to find out why my amigos (+1) are on. Looking for a mechanic in Rocklin/Roseville, CA who can knock these two out for me because I can't drive legal without these codes cleared. Any recommendations welcome.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by primussucks
P0441. Change the evap purge valve. Get on amazon. Look for Forman 911-800. Runs you $20. Or $40 at napa.
Just did mine for the second time in two years. A properly working purge valve will tick at a fast pace. If you don't hears yours ticking, time to replace.
I smoke testing last weekend and didn't find anything. For the hell of it I replaced the purge again, and all is good again.
I had been driving this way for a year, but now my inspection is out so I had to spend time on it. I had ruled out the purge valve because it had recently been replaced, turns out it needed to be done again.
Thanks for this Post. I also had ruled out the purge valve as the source of my p0441 since I had just replaced it but after reading this I decided to run up to AutoZone and get another valve. IT WORKED!!!! After 3 full tanks I have not seen the code. (knock on wood)

I did read on another forum that if your purge valve keeps failing then your problem is more then likely a bad charcoal canister that is allowing the charcoal to plug up the purge valve.
I decided to blow out the hose that runs from the charcoal canister to the purge valve in case there was any charcoal powder in there and so far so good. If my purge valve keeps failing then i'll look into a new canister.

NO MAS CODES, TIME FOR A DOS EQUIS It is starting to warm up. When is the fishing trip to the coast?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Mudding

FYI,
Instead of chancing a CHP encounter with expired tags en route to Sac, I elected to try McCoy's in Roseville. They had replaced my wheel speed sensor when I bought it (the used dealer agreed to have it fixed before I bought it), and McCoy's agreed to diagnose both codes for $65 (he has an ABS one that will tell why the P1590 is tripping, and why my EVAP code is on too).
If it is a wheel speed sensor and a evap purge valve, I am assuming both are easy fixes, right?

Quick Reply: Smog check threw codes, hoping to know what I need to do