Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped Connecting Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped Connecting Rod

After countless research to determine what might be wrong with my disco, a broken connecting rod seems to be the best guess. Is it worth it to go ahead and dismantle the engine and fix this? (hoping that it hasn't caused any other damage) Or better off swapping for a used engine? I can pick one up at a local salvage yard for $850, but then I don't know the condition of the internals of that engine. I know this would be a tedious task either way, just thought I would get some input from some of my fellow members.

I have access to a shop and any tools I would need, so that will not be an issue.

I have not opened the oil pan yet so i'm not completely positive this is the problem. It is just what makes the most sense for the sound and stalling. Just looking for help IF this really turns out to be the problem.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bamberson; 10-24-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give us the details of the problem, any codes, if your check engine light (or other lights) are on, and we'll try to help before you throw money and parts at an incorrectly diagnosed problem.

Dropping the oil pan to confirm would be your next step after you've eliminated everything else. We can't say if thats a good idea or not without more details.

There are so dismantlers that specialize in rovers and could probably get you a better engine - or have better knowledge of the engine's history - at a better price. Check the classified section.

Also, year, model and mileage will help (on mobile cersiin so I can't see sigs; disregard if you've got this info in yours)

Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

Should not have started another thread on this buddy but posted this in on your last thread so folks don't have to flip flop back and forth to find out the other info.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Should not have started another thread on this buddy but posted this in on your last thread so folks don't have to flip flop back and forth to find out the other info.
I was looking for knowledgeable help with a problem, not your imput on my post... If you cant help, then just dont comment. Makes you sound like an dick.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ghengis86
Give us the details of the problem, any codes, if your check engine light (or other lights) are on, and we'll try to help before you throw money and parts at an incorrectly diagnosed problem.

Dropping the oil pan to confirm would be your next step after you've eliminated everything else. We can't say if thats a good idea or not without more details.

There are so dismantlers that specialize in rovers and could probably get you a better engine - or have better knowledge of the engine's history - at a better price. Check the classified section.

Also, year, model and mileage will help (on mobile cersiin so I can't see sigs; disregard if you've got this info in yours)
No check engine light.
Ill take a look through the classifieds, that sounds like a good option if it can save $$ and the peace of mind that comes with it.
the info is in my sig, but here it is for mobile -
2000 Disco 2 with 144,000 miles

Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

drop the pan, if you do have broken rod just find a used motor. it will cost you twice as much to repair it.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

$850 for a used engine is a good deal.

When a rod breaks, it can go thru the side of the engine.
Or the oil pan
If that did not happen

Then the rod may have spun the bearing on the crank shaft.
The crankshaft could be scored.

Only way to tell is remove the oil pan.

The cylinder head will need to come off to fix the rod as the piston needs to be pulled.

Pulling off the head will be $1000 to $2,000 as this will be considered a head gasket job.

Checking crank - additional money.

At this point - the whole engine should be pulled and professionally rebuilt.
Don't bother mickymousing with the engine all in the truck and trying to fix just the rod.

There is a reason the rod broke - probably lack of lubrication.

Or, there was antifreeze in the oil - or there IS antifreeze in the oil which damages the bearing material between the rod and the crankshaft.
To verify this -
Drain the oil.
As soon as the oil comes out - take the pan outside to the sunlight and look
for copper colored or bronze flecks.
If you see those - these are the main bearings gone bad from antifreeze contamination.

My advice - $850 for the new engine.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

If you snapped a rod, the resultant hole in the block or the sump is pretty obvious. No hole, no snapped rod.

That said, if you did ruin a bearing, and you do have a line on an $850 engine, then the new engine is obviously a no brainer.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems as though a new engine would be the best choice. If this route is chosen I will post pictures with a write up on the proccess.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bamberson
I was looking for knowledgeable help with a problem, not your imput on my post... If you cant help, then just dont comment. Makes you sound like an dick.

Settle down.... I am just saying you should have put this in your "strange happenings" thread as a update since its all related. that way people don't have to flip back and forth
You explain how giving you advice makes me sound like a dick? Not once have i been rude or called you names so don't get this moving that direction.

Strange happenings on Page 2 your new thread on page 1 all related to each other. You will get more knowledgeable help if people know what has been ruled out and understand how you have reached your assumption of connecting rod.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Snapped Connecting Rod