Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

where did you get the snorkel at? It is very clean

Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
ZG you just nailed my ***** to the wall, Im still laughing! Nice call man.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
where did you get the snorkel at? It is very clean

Rovers North. I have had great service from them.

Rovers North, Classic Land Rover Parts - RAISED AIR INTAKE DISCOVERY II, RNA1013

Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks WK does the top turn around to act as more of a cold air intake? ZG stop hating my BBS lol

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Mudding

Yes, it can be turned around.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Camel Trophy

Haha I'm not hating, I love BBS wheels. I almost got the BBS CKs for my S60R!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

so.... snorkels. thanks to Spike for posting my pic of me and my d2 in a lake.

the snorkel DID keep the truck running longer then if i were without it. However the electronics is what doomed me. I had waterproofed the tranny ECU which is the lowest ECU in the D2. but as you can see another it didnt matter. Another 7 inches above the tranny ECU sits 3 other ECU's in the pass side footwell against the wheel well. Those all need waterproofing or to be moved. and finally there is one behind the fuse panel in the driver seat foot well. you would also need to extend ALL of the breathers, diffs, TC and tranny up thru the snorkel otherwise they will all need flushing. you also need to seal up the airbox. there is a hole in the bottom to allow water to drain out. you also need to waterproof the mesh piece between the air box and the fender where the snorkel connects. i would also make sure that your door seals are not rotted and cracked, your plug in the pass side firewall for wiring is tight and your XYZ is cleaned and re-sealed before attempting a deep wade. again. the snorkel will help but if you have cracked doorseals or a massive rot hole in your foot well your ECU will fail long before you get water in the intake.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for the info Ed, that's a lot of helpful info! How did you go about waterproofing the tranny ECU?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Thanks for the info Ed, that's a lot of helpful info! How did you go about waterproofing the tranny ECU?
I bought a silicone spray that is specific for waterproofing circuit boards. It was also UV sensitive so you can make sure you coated the entire board. It was like $35 on Amazon but one can is enough to do every ECU in the truck.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wkburns
I did not install mine for water crossings, though I do ocassionally have to. I work in the oil fields and due to the extreamly dusty environment I wanted to run a snorkel to help it to breath in less dust. You can see my top of the snorkel faces behind instead of forward like many do. This is to cut down on dust and is the proper way of using one.
Absolutely correct. Unless a vehicle is significantly modified for deep water, the ability of a snorkel to avoid water ingestion is a mere side effect of its true function, which is to minimize dust/sand ingestion. When driving in a desert convoy without a snorkel, the air filter will be clogged in very short order. Obviously the snorkel inlet needs to be facing to the rear for it to work. A part of me giggles whenever I see otherwise stockish vehicles with front-facing snorkels (though some snorkels rotate and are meant to be run facing forwards when on the slab for some ram-air effect...whether this actually works in an untuned system is beyond me).

That said, there is one aspect of a snorkel, even on an unprepared vehicle, that is useful in a water-crossing situation. When entering water from a steep embankment, the nose can take a dip even if the water is not very deep. But this does not call for a snorkel that extends all the way to the roofline.

Quick Reply: Snorkel