Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So i bought the Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i bought the Discovery

So i know a lot of you guys said not to buy it, but i'm not going to lie to you, i bought it. (1996 Discovery Automatic) i will post pictures when i get a chance. it drives great. i love it. But here are the problems:

1. the cruise control will not work. the power light comes on (dash) but nothing when i push set. checked all the vacuum lines, all connected. I have replaced the cruise control switch in front of the brake pedal.

2. The Onside front door doesn't open from the outside.

3. The brake lights didn't work and it was stuck in park but i bought a brake switch with the cruise control switch (both for $15.00 shipped to my front door) fixed it.

4. There seems to be a whining noise, or maybe a winding noise from behind the dash. it gets faster as speed increases. It's really not that loud or anything. most people don't even notice it, but i want to get it fixed if i can.

5. This seems to be the biggest problem, when i put the Rover in reverse, it clunks into gear. the front shaft coming out of the trasfer case is a little loose, but when i mess with it, it tightens up. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the transfer case.

6. I want to do something about the headliner. It's starting to sag a bit. Should i try to fix it myself or have it done professionally? it seems like most of the road noise is coming from the roof. is there anything that i can do to dampen down the noise? Or is this just part of owning a Discovery?

I think that's it. for now at least. The cd changer under the passenger seat works, the stereo sounds good. maybe one blown woofer, not bad though. I already ordered the rear onside corner bumper piece that's missing ($45.00 shipped), replaced the spark plugs and wires. Oil change is coming up soon, I have an auction for the missing center cap that i will bid on. Slowly coming together it seems. i have been so pleased with this vehicle. especially considering what i had. much more luxurious. smoother ride.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 PM
4wd High
Default RE: So i bought the Discovery

The clunk noise might be ujoints

Old 09-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

1.Cut off the ends of the vacum lines and then reattach.
2.What is the "onside" door?
4.Check the fluid level in the transfer case and the transmission. The drive line in these trucks is noisy because it is gear drivenand full time four wheel drive.
5.That clunk is normal. Check your u-joints for play, replace all of them if necassary.
6.Candiman has a nice thread going on the headliner. He also has a nice write up on how to fix a broken door that wont open from the outside.
Change the fluids in both the differentals and the transfer case. That will help quiet the driveline down alittle.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, onside = driver.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow. I sold my jeep for 2000 so it was actually a trade. and i have a little money to get it up to par too. I can if nothing else drive this till i get the money to buy a newer nicer one. Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

So do youi like it better than your Jeep? Even in it s beat up condition?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Winching

Of course he does!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Drifting

There is almost no comparison. it is like a totally different league like you said. i am so happy i bought it. but i think you will be impressed with how well it cleaned up. I'll work on getting some pictures up. theyre too big and i don't know how to resize them on the new mac.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Name:  copyofDSC00622-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  116.6 KB

If you open a www.photobucket.com account you can resize them there. You can copy a direct link buy clicking the little mountain looking thingright above the text box, delete the http that comes up and copy and paste your link and hit enter and BAM!, your pic is in the post.

Name:  DSC00609-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  107.0 KB

Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Winching

I never noticed That was a DI. Beautiful spike.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Thanks JP.
EDIT: JR not JP, sorry. Typo.

Quick Reply: So i bought the Discovery