Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I did a thing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 08:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
There are other options, but I am doubting the cracked block diagnosis. I have never personally seen one, and I am on #15 at the moment.

That said, given you can no longer do the work yourself you may be better off swapping in a complete engine. Your least expensive route is gonna be a 4.0 Disco motor. As I said before there are several breakers in NC, I am guessing you get a complete engine for around $500-700. I would guess around 8 hrs for an engine remove and replace. Not sure what your guy charges.

If it was me I would replace the following during the R&R because it is much faster with the engine on the stand than in the truck.

1. Starter
2. CPS
3. Valve cover gaskets
4. Head gaskets
5. Exhaust manifold gaskets
6. Water pump
7. Radiator
8. Coolant bottle
9. All hoses
10. PS Pump
11. Idler pulleys

Sounds like several of these have already been done, so you could swap between the two.

Given your change in work situation now might not be the time for a Disco with a bad motor, sounds like you got it right so maybe you can resell and make a few bucks.

Good luck!
Yeah, I thought the same about the block but im not going to argue with a guy once he drops the I was with LR for 15 years lol... Believe me I've lost sleep over the not having time to do it myself but my garage, lift and every major tool is at my house in VA and I will very rarely be there let alone spend a few days there or enough time to do this. I am going to do some more reading and think about it, in the mean time im gonna post it on FB marketplace for 2500 just to see if I get any bites, if it sells it sells, if not Id rather build it anyway it will just take much longer and cost more. I would hate giving up on her simply because it is in such good condition on th inside. Thank you all for the input and I will still be here until one of those things happen. OH! I did reach out to a few of the guys you mentioned here but they didnt have engines.