Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is it worth? 2004 DII

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Question So what is it worth? 2004 DII

This afternoon I looked at a 2004 DII with 103k miles black on black. SE model, sunroofs and most options but no nav system, I forgot to check on the heated seats. Broken windshield. 5 passenger. I would give the paint and body a 7 out of 10 (body good, paint so so, certainly not a garage queen). Interior was in good shape but in a desperate need of a thorough detail. Mechanically it has some issues: throttle body gasket shot, leaking valve cover gaskets, (owner just had the front diff swapped out, oil residue on the undercarriage, bottom of engine, tranny and transfer case. Brand new tires. Doesn't appear that the head gaskets have been changed, this owner has had it since 70k miles and he hasn't done it. He did change out the intake manifold gasket and the valve cover gaskets. He took off the a/c lines when he did that and forgot to replace one of the O-rings, all the freon leaked out, no way to check on the a/c performance. Driver side window regulator out. Doesn't look like the front prop shaft has been upgraded.

Owner is running synthetics and premium fuel. Brakes look good

All of the above can be fixed over time, the troubling issue is a knock out of the engine. I couldn't locate it but it sounded like it was coming from both sides of the engine at or near the valve covers, the sound was like it was low on oil, but it wasn't.

The seller seems like a straight shooter. He seems somewhat mechanical, somebody that could take parts off and on but didn't seem to have much Land Rover experience, odd since he has owned this rig for 3 years.

I don't need this but if I could get it for the right price I may upgrade my 1999 DI or my 2001 DII.

With the simple repairs listed, assuming no major engine issues, one could easily spend $2000 on a bumper repaint, new passenger side fog light, plugs and wires, throttle body gasket, window regulator and an A/C service, a gallon of simple green and a few Saturdays detailing and fixing up.

The will certainly be a head gasket in the future, I won't do it myself so there is another $1800 in So Cal prices.

Given all of that, what is a fair price? He is asking $7500 but I am thinking that $6000 is fair given the overall condition and the items that will need to be fixed. Ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I almost forgot, the Service Engine Soon Light is on, the owner says that it comes on periodically but has been on for the past thousand miles. He thought that it might have to do with the gas cap. Gas cap was tight, he hasn't had the codes read. Phil

Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7500 doesn't sound horrible, but since you "don't need it" you can feel good about offering $6K. The work alone will bring you back up to $7500.

For what it's worth - just for comparison:

I'm in the North Jersey/NYC market - my 04 Disco SE had 91K miles when I bought it 3 weeks ago or so. I paid almost $10K for it. It was garage kept so the paint is great, was never off-road, and the only thing I had to change on it was the front-right regulator (broke a week after I bought it) and the upstream O2 sensors (replaced free by dealer to pass inspection - that got rid of the two codes I had and the Service Engine Soon light.) It did have the three amigos, but I suspected it was from the slight rotor oxidation as a result of storage/inactivity - since the rotors have been "cleaned" from driving it, the 3 amigos went away 5 days in and have not returned for over two weeks - this after even testing, on loose gravel and wet road, the ETC and ABS.)

And although I intend to give it a tune up (plugs, wires, air filter), oil change, and rebuild the front driveshaft, and replace the throttle body heater, it's running great and the interior is spotless (oh and it had new tires - albeit Nexen HP Roadians, but still new.)

-Anthony

Last edited by Antmen; 04-26-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sounds good..

Thats about what i paid. i paid a bit more as i was financing part of mine. I paid $8,300.00 and i changed the transfer case the first week. i have numerous small and enoying issues but they are going for alot more in florida. $10,500 is the average and they go all the way to $14,000.00. I am doing most of all the work so i am ahead i guess. Paint is a 9.5 interior is a 9.5 overall fisical condition a 9.0 and i have a knock too. Seems it has to due with intake system. Heads are new as well as headgasket. Mine has 122,000 miles on it. I have no lights on at all, so i guess it could be worse. 1 cupped tires as the dealers always scramble with used crap tires to get the thing sold. The guys on here can really help you with alot of stuff so it's really what you want to put into the truck..

Good Luck, Chris

Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

id be scared about the knock more than anything else. with teh fact that you are not plannong in doing the head gaskets yourself you need to subtract that from the cost. I would offer him $5,000 cash and settle no more than $5,500. Especially if you are going to farm out a lot of the work that needs to be done.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$6k sounds good.