Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so what'd I break?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so what'd I break?

Hi Folks,

I was working on the truck (2003 Disco) and I had the passenger side kicker panel off to run a wire in behind it and I was also
"groping" around pulling off the two leads from the cigarette lighter to tap in to it for a switched 12v source for something.

I didn't take apart the dash because I could get my fingers up in there to pull off the pos and neg leads on the cig lighter.
I got them back on and the lighter socket is working fine and so is the thing I'm powering, that's all happy but for some reason
now I have no white dash lights at all. I did check the dimmer control and its not stuck.

Any guesses what fuse I should look at for the instrument cluster? The clock has a burned out bulb so I KNOW why that
ones not working, do you guys think its a fuse or a connector that maybe I bumped or something?

The headlight are fine and so is the heater and odometer green backlights, its just the white dash back lights that disappeared.

Cheers'
Dave

Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Default so now what ?

Hey!

So a bit more digging - the fuse for the interment cluster is supposedly # 3 according to Rave.

When I turn the arm switch from off position 1 to 2 the # 3 fuse shows power going thru it but
the cluster is still not lit. Turn the switch to off and the current thru 3 goes off.

When I turn the light switch ON from position 2 to 3 headlights are OK so power shows up on:
Fuse 9 - Headlight Normal Beam - LH
Fuse 10- Headlight Normal Beam - RH

Pull the arm forward to switch to high beams:
Fuse 5 - Headlight High Beam - LH
Fuse 22- Headlight High Beam - RH

They're happy too and all the turn signals are ok and working. (Fronts, Marker and Rear)

Does anyone think I bumped a connector under the dash down by the cig lighter or is there
a wiring harness in behind the kicker panel under the glove box maybe?

Cheers'
Dave

Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

From the experience of taking apart many center dash sections I can say that I doubt you dislodged/disrupted anything in the cig lighter region.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Default yep, I agree ..... then what?

Hey abran,

Yep, I hope you're right ..... it just seems odd that the interment panel lights would die after I was working on it the dash area?!

There are no white backlights anyplace dash or shift console ...... No lights on P R N D but you can see the gear selection on the
green odometer screen anyway.

All I have I lit is the green odometer and the heater display panel even the backlights on the the heater buttons are dark.

Pretty weird! Does anyone know if there is there a way to check if the lighting switch in the control arm coming off the steering
column is working OK? Can I pull a harness connection someplace and put a continuity tester across a few pins to check the functioning
of the switch somehow?

Cheers'
Dave