Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so why premium gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default so why premium gas?

why must these engines use premium gas?

i have a ducati superbike that makes 135hp from a 1000cc twin engine and it runs great on regular(though i use mid grade. shell only)

these do not seem like high output motors for their displacement or size. so what is the reason? is it a matter of sensors that will trip in the case of low grade fuel?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: so why premium gas?

high grade fuel contains less impurities than low grade fuel, having worked in refineries for three years now and talking to the people who actually make the fuel i am starting to understand the difference, both in the product and the cost of production... fuel contains some things that do not burn off in the combustion process, in order to remove these contaminants the fuel goes through a process similar to distilling alcohol, its extremely expensive and dangerous... higher octane fuels burn cleaner and leave less deposits on your motor internals, they also have a higher combustion rate so you generate more power on the combustion stroke of your engine, and if one combustion stroke of high octane fuel achieves the same power as 1 1/2 or 2 combustion strokes of a lower grade fuel, then you use less fuel to achieve the same amount of power and mechanical "work"... so basically running higher grade fuels keeps your engine cleaner, gives you better mileage, and can keep everything "downstream" of your engine, like exhaust and cats, from becoming fouled by unburned substances in your fuel... and it only cost like 20 cents more a gallon... so for like 5 dollars more per fill up you save yourself a lot of headache later on...
________
AlexaShy

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The reason is this, because LR says so. That should be good enough.

But...LR engine do not have a EGR valve, the EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the combustion chambers to help keep the internal engine temps down, this helps emissions, allows the use of lower grade gas and reduces engine sludge.

Without a EGR your internal engine temps soar and you wind up baking the motor oil inside the engine creating excessive sludge build up over time and thuse creating huge headaches later in life.

Your engine will run fine on regular gas but your MPG will not be as good as with premium. It will only cost you and extra $4 per 20 gals of gas to use premium and you will get almost 50 more miles on that same 20 gals of gas.

LR uses a secondary air injection pump (some have it, some dont)to help reduce emissions, by injecting fresh air into the exhaust it helps the cats work better to burn the exhaust gases.

Long story short, it is required so use it.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Winching

The Blazer has EGR and secondary air injection

but its a v6 [&o]

The biggest thing for me is what Spike said....you end up spending more overall by buying the cheaper gas. So why would you even consider it?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
TReK

all of what was said made total sense. i did not know that LR did not use a egr set up.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I use premium in EVERYTHING, snowblower, chainsaw, weedwacker, lawnmower hell, I even used it in the $500 Camry that I bought during my divorce.
Oh yeah, if you have a generator to power your house during a power outage, it will run longer on the same tank of gas.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, we use premium in everything.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:06 PM
TReK

well hell i might have to make the swap to premium in everything that i own.

my diesel work pick up is a company rig and they pay the fuel so putting in premium will not hurt me at all. thanks for the tips guys. this is something that is argued over and over on every forum, but its good to hear from people who have been around the actual oil industry.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Premium is the way to go in vehicles that require it. In a vehicle designed to run on 87 specs show no benefit.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Winching

Unless its a higher mileage engine with carbon deposits....then the higher octane fuel makes the engine run like normal....but that's just postponing the inevitable

Quick Reply: so why premium gas?