Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOaking wet carpets in the footwells

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default SOaking wet carpets in the footwells

So I pulled my interior out of my truck yesterday. I had to fix a leaky sunroof, and because my truck sat for a long time with the previous owner it was disgusting. I had also found a mouse nest or two (Actually so far I have found 6) I wanted to make sure that I got them all and see what damage they have done.

When I pulled the carpet out of the passenger and driver footwells, they were soaking wet. I had the sunroof taped up until I fixed it, and I don't think that would have soaked both so evenly.

Could this just be from wet feet getting in and out, and it just never dried correctly. Anyone else have this issue, and any idea how to keep them dry? I was thinking some sort of drain would help, but I am not sure.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You better pull your carpet and pad up and start a fan to dry it out. Make sure to use lots of Lysol type cleaner to kill the mold. The leak can be from the sun roof drains being broken or plugged up, wind shield leak or from a "A" pillar leak.
Do not put any sort of drain in the floor or you will get water in the truck every time it rains or you drive in water.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You better pull your carpet and pad up and start a fan to dry it out. Make sure to use lots of Lysol type cleaner to kill the mold. The leak can be from the sun roof drains being broken or plugged up, wind shield leak or from a "A" pillar leak.
Do not put any sort of drain in the floor or you will get water in the truck every time it rains or you drive in water.
I pulled all the carpets out of my truck, cleaned them and they are in the basement with a fan and a de-humidifier on them. I checked both front sunroof drains and they work great (This all started with on leaky one) I have all the panels out and when I poured water through them it comes out under the truck as it should and I can't see any leaking anywhere else.

I will have to hit it with a hose tonight to see about the windshield or A-Pillars. Are these known to leak?

My thought on the drain was that is was normal water from shoes/snow and it has no place to drain. I would have put one of those hoses that closes on one end to only let water out (Kind of like on a boat). I would only do a drain if there is no inherent leak

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your A/C drains are clogged. They are located on either side of the transmission tunnel close to the firewall.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Three Wheeling

If the roof drains are intact and no leaks you might want to look at the top of the windshield for leaks. If the windshield has ever been replaced then there is usually a leak where the outside roof panel and the interior brace panel connect, also check drain rails at front top exterior corners, they crack and allow water to run down the pillars to the foot well.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by buick215
Maybe your A/C drains are clogged. They are located on either side of the transmission tunnel close to the firewall.
Hmmm. This could make sense. This could be why both floors are wet.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Winching

If you want to try to unclog them to see if the problem goes away use compressed air or a garden hose with a pistol grip nozzle. Using a wire hanger could puncture the hose.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Drifting

So I did some work last night. I hit the truck with a hose and found a leak at the top center of the windshield. It drips down the rear veiw mirror and onto the center console at the 4-wheel drive selector. I had attributed this leak to the sunroof drain, but I guess I was wrong. cleaned the junk out of the seal and ran some black silicone in it. I still am not sure that was enough to cause the soaking wet carpets, but it was progress.

After that I got under the truck and cleared out the A/C drains. No water came out, just a little bit of very dry dirt. So I let the car run for a while with the A/C on, or at least tried. I set it at the coldest temp and made sure "Econ" was off.

Now I am not actually sure my A/C works. Whole new set of problems.

I will do a search on the A/C, but it looks like there is a clutch that engages the A/C compressor, and I am not sure that is happening. I can see the outside ring spinning, but I would have thought the clutch would engage and spin the center portion as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will hear the compressor clutch click in, it is a very audible click.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bundu
You will hear the compressor clutch click in, it is a very audible click.
I don't hear that. Is there a way to manually make it engage to check if that is the problem?

Quick Reply: SOaking wet carpets in the footwells