Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be part of the (disfunctional) family . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
All valid points. Please allow me to retort....

.....Ylo, i mean no disrepect, im just saying that everyone has different reasons for buying their trucks. Just because you cant justify it doesnt mean others cant..
Absolutely NO offense taken my friend....except that Prius comment, I'd rather walk...

All your points are also very valid and by no means am I trying to discourage the OP from buying a LR. And I'm NOT saying he has "justify" his reasoning to me or anyone else, if he can afford it and knows what he's getting into, by all means, join the club!

I guess my thinking is that when someone considering a vehicle mentions the characteristics : "daily driver" and "tow vehicle" without mentioning "off roading", "camping" or "...we get lots of snow here".....I DON'T think "Land Rover Discovery" ya know?

Originally Posted by dgi 07
oh and ylo, i liked your truck better with the brushguard..lol

to the op....sorry for the hijack.
Thanks man, me too...but I sold it, hoping to get a winch and either a tray or full bumper. And yeah sorry to hijack bro, hopefully our little 'debate' helped. (Obviously the "dysfunctional family" comment was spot on!)

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 06-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
TReK

dgi 07- Do me a favor, take your Disco off-road this weekend, I promise you'll fall in love all over again

Same with you Jbreckeen, as soon as you buy it! Good luck with your purchase, hope you get a good deal

Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I guess my thinking is that when someone considering a vehicle mentions the characteristics : "daily driver" and "tow vehicle" without mentioning "off roading", "camping" or "...we get lots of snow here".....I DON'T think "Land Rover Discovery" ya know?
Did you realize that there isn't another commonly available vehicle in the US market that is built on what amounts to a 1-ton frame and isn't a full sized (think Ford Excursion and Chevy Suburban) truck?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Did you realize that there isn't another commonly available vehicle in the US market that is built on what amounts to a 1-ton frame and isn't a full sized (think Ford Excursion and Chevy Suburban) truck?
No I didn't....so are you saying that a Land Rover is a deceny towing vehicle? Sure it is!

But I'm not sure why everyone is trying to convince ME, I have a Land Rover and wouldn't want it any other way.

I am just trying to be realistic in making sure the OP knows that Land Rover's aren't for everyone and that ownership is not all sunshine and lollipops......that's it and that's all. I don't think he needs my blessing or an authorization code from me to make a decision to buy one

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having totaled a car with my Disco, I have no problem with minor damage. Put $6k into the front end and it never touched anything major (just lights, bumper and grill).

Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies . . .

I take no offense by the comments, you guys are looking out for me, thanks. Plus, I have heard it all before from anyone who hears I am looking to buy a Disco: "Oh my God, you are going to buy one of those" "The break all the time" "They are expensive" "They explode and take out anything within a 1/4 mile!"

This doesn't scare me, I am a old Porsche guy, who does wrenching on my 80's cars, full of old Bosch fuel-injection, old wiring, corrosion, old rubber, etc . . . And talk about expensive parts! Plus, I already have a very "close" relationship with my shop that also works on Landy's.

My needs are for this to be a daily car, so want it to be enclosed, refined, and small-ish. Gas milage is not super important as I drive only around 10 miles each way to work on surface roads. But, usually once a month need to tow my racecar on trailer to events throught Florida (FLAT). Car weighs 2700, trailer around 1500, plus other crap that makes it way to the track = 5000 lbs total. I like the headroom the Disco gives in extra tow ability. I know other who use it to pull cars and love 'em.

So, the reason that I have chosen a disco is:
1. Relativly small SUV (compared to others with tow capacity)
2. Great cargo room - Love the flat floor (very few others have a flat floor)
2. Huge tow capicity (7000 lbs)
3. Not a Pick-up - want enclosed body
4. Just looks cool! (so much better than other SUV's)

I have researched others:
1. 4 Runner - Good, but too big and ugly.
2. Expedition - Way too big and ugly.
3. Suburban - See above.
4. Toureg - Very Good, but big, and expensive.
5. Cayenne - Don't even go there.
6. Various pickups - Would be great, but no pickups.
7. Trailblazer - OK, but ugly.

So, thanks again for the info, and let the crap start hitting the fan argueing with my above statements . . .

BYW, still looking - The one that looked promissing turned out to be not such a great deal; wanted top dollar with problems . . .walked away.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

hey if you like the body and its style just buy one, i just bought a 2004 and so far im loving it, there isnt much off roading here but still a joy to drive, comfortable and stylish, i knew about all the problems and fuel costs, but it isnt my daily driver as im a hvac mechanic, i cant wait for winter, lol but be aware these engines suck, as far as head gaskets and other internal problems that will need a rebuilt, when i bought mine it came with a private warranty that u can get for about 2500 to 3000, but it covers everything, i seen the previous bills myself, new block from british atlantic and other parts, total bill was 9100, they covered it, plus a few other things like window motors, etc, worth a look at it. but i feel like a king driving it, and trust me i will find some off road trails around here.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBreckeen
...But, usually once a month need to tow my racecar on trailer to events throught Florida (FLAT). Car weighs 2700, trailer around 1500, plus other crap that makes it way to the track = 5000 lbs total...
I tow a covered trailer during deer season with lots of gear and an ATV...You will have no problem with 5000 lbs, just stay up on brake maintenance...And you may want to find a Disco with ACE and SLS, but certainly not necessary.

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
...Land Rover's aren't for everyone and that ownership is not all sunshine and lollipops...
LOL, that's funny ylo...typical LR owner:

YouTube - ‪Sunshine Lollipops‬‏